We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kigali to Musanze at night?

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Kigali to Musanze at night?

Depending on when we can secure gorilla permits, we may need to drive from Kigali to Musanze around 9pm due to flight arrivals.. Does anyone know if this service is possible?

Thanks

Brooklyn-Phoenicia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

hi -

i'm not sure if buses run at that hour, but if so, i would caution against taking that route at night. that road is pretty twisty and at night would be kind of harrowing. i have rwandan friends who agree and will only travel it during daylight.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

I am assuming you will be hiring a car and driver for this sector. If so you should be OK if he is. Do not stop in Musanze unless you need to. Go straight through to Kinigi.

I would NOT drive myself or take a bus at that hour.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

Thanks for the tips - very helpful!

Tom

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

You will not want to do that. Instead of a beautiful, scenic drive over the mountains, you will have a dark, scary thrill ride, weaving in and out of people. We made that mistake, and it was raining on top of everything, would never do it that way if we had it to do over. Plus you get to your hotel so late, you're paying for it you might as well enjoy it.

Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

We were there about 3 weeks ago. I'd suggest staying the night in Kigali, then maybe visiting the genocide museum in the morning, then heading to Musanze to arrive in time for lunch, then doing your gorilla treck the next day. Although people in Rwanda drive quite safely (compared to Egypt etc) its a winding road through high mountains with sheer drops off the side. It would also be incredibly dark at night - I was a little nervous even in daylight! The road is in good condition, however there are quite a few potholes that may not be visible at night.

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
343 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

We did what you are proposing, our flight from Arusha was due in about 8pm but was delayed to 9pm. We had pre booked a car and driver, we had to pay extra so he could stay overnight although he did drive back (his choice) The ride was pretty hairy, but OK.

Not helped by the fact that at 11pm when we arrived the driver couldn't find kinigi guest house and when we did get there they'd tried giving our room to someone else. Thankfully it was sorted out by SarahRwanda's very helpful husband.

It meant that we didn't waste 2 days travelling and we spent 2nights in kinigi guest house instead.

My tip would be to take something to eat, most places in Kigali were closed by the time we left the airport.

7. Re: Kigali to Musanze at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kigali