We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gorilla permits

midwest
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
gorilla permits

Planning to do gorilla trekking in Rwanda in August or September 2015, and have a few questions.

Are permits issued for a specific date or for a "window" during which you can use them?

How far in advance I should attempt getting a permit? Everybody says - the sooner the better, but I don't even have airplane tickets/lodging booked, so I am a little nervous to buy expensive permits (and we are planning to have 2 permits each) that far in advance.

One of our party has asthma and might move slower than the rest (especially in high altitude) - should he declare it ahead of time? And - if so - would it help placing him in a 'slower' group?

Is it better to get the permits myself or try to coordinate it with my US outfitter who will be arranging the rest of the this vacation (we are planning to go on safari in Kenya afterwards or before).

Thank yo ufor your help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Rwanda
Rwanda
Africa
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gorilla permits

Personally I would book it all through a reputable rwandan ground agent. If you look in trip reports and on this forum, you will find good recommendations. Otherwise your american outfitter will be subcontacting it I imagine to a rwandan ground agent.

Your permit will be valid for a specific date only (gorilla trekking is tightly controlled and you have one hour with the gorilla family once you locate them) and should be booked as soon as you can confirm dates ie you should have agreed your tour dates with your agent and

have checked flight availability. So as soon as you have flights booked you should be

confirming things.

Tell your ground agent about the person with asthma but most importantly tell your driver/guide in rwanda. groups are assigned on the day so he should be able to get you a group as close to hq as possible.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 08:29
Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gorilla permits

I agree with the above post... Better to purchase the gorilla permits through the local travel company.... You must be more than luck to get August gorilla permits ...

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gorilla permits

rgo9 it is too early to book gorilla permits for 2015.

If you are referring to 2013, then you need to book the gorilla permits right away. There are few gorilla permits left for August 2013, so my advise is you go for September permits as lots of them are available giving you a chance to get 2 permits each one of you.

Gorilla permits are valid for the specified date i.e. for a day.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gorilla permits

I actually mean August 2015 (not 2013). I realize that August permits go away fast, but I will try to get ours as early as possible. How far in advance can you get a permit? A year? Less? More?

And thanks everybody for your replies - it is very helpful

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gorilla permits

At end of 2013 or beginning of 2014 which is few months from now..

midwest
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gorilla permits

if for my August 2015 permit I have to get it in the beginning of 2014 - it means close to 2 years ahead (1 year and 8 months) - does it really have to be THAT FAR in advance??

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gorilla permits

No. You won't be able to book your flights until a year in advance or less..

As soon as you do that, get your permits.

We booked our flights in November for a May/June visit. July and August are peak months.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gorilla permits

We did our gorilla trek this year in March. Our Australian travel agent booked the Rwanda part of our African holiday stay through Primate Tours and our guide was Johnson, who was F A N T A S T I C. I can't recommend Primate Tours and Johnson, highly enough. Because we were there in the 'low' season, obtaining permits did not seem to be a problem, but I'm not sure about August/September as this is in the 'high' tourist season. Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Rwanda
Rwanda
Africa
midwest
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gorilla permits

thank you everybody for your helpful replies - greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: gorilla permits

It is perfectly easy to book the gorilla permits through RDB direct. They are usually very efficient and fast at replying. If however you are arriving in Kigali and need to pick up your gorilla permits on a Sunday or public holiday when their offices are closed, that's when booking through an agent with offices in Kigali comes in handy. The agent will usually make arrangements to deliver the permits to you at your Kigali hotel or Kigali airport at a small fee. You may contact permits@gorillapermitsrwanda.com a resource dedicated at assisting clients acquire their gorilla permits for trekking in Rwanda.

Mentioned in this post
Kigali
Kigali
Kigali Province, Rwanda
Rwanda
Rwanda
Africa