We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

Hello all - We are planning a trip to Rwanda and Uganda in June for 2 weeks. My husband, 22yr old son and I want to start in Kigali and end in Entebbe or circle back to Kigali if we can't drop a car in Uganda. I realize we need to book lodges and gorilla permits in advance, but is it possible to self drive during daylight hours from lodge to lodge? My son is currently living in Ghana and has some experience with african driving and we have driven in Cape Town with no problems (I realize this is not anywhere the same as driving in the bush but we've been to the continent and aren't the usual clueless americans ;) most of the time). We are trying to avoid being stuck in a van with a bunch of 70 year old tourists and want to be able to stop if we like. I've read elsewhere that hiring a driver is prohibitively expensive. Should I just book the whole thing through a local tour operator? (please no solicitations). Any ideas?

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

Sherriton, there's no problem going on self guided tour through Rwanda and Uganda as long as you have avalid international drivers licence, the roads in Rwanda a well paved to go through and activities can easily be pre booked online through the RDB or through the travel agency, i would recomend you to use Self drive uganda/ self drive uganda , they have reliable 4x4 rav4 at $50 and the vehicles can freely cross the boarders as long as you pay the Comesa insurance which goes for $30 . this agency can assist you to book accommodation and secure you gorilla passes or book accommodation for you at no extra cost . www.selfdriveuganda.com they will be able to offer you 4x4 rav4 or 4x4 safari van.

2. Re: Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2017, 07:12
Bergen, Norway
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

I and My friend hansen were in Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya last winter season for three weeks. we did the driving our selves but requred international driving licences.the other difference was that in Rwanda they drive on the right, while Uganda and Kenya drive on the left. we booked a Rav 4, From, www.self drive Rwanda.com and we didnot regreat our choice a single moment. their cost was reasonable, the car was comfortable which made our trip worthwhile. Crossing the boarders was not a problem, there is a common fee we paid once and would cross all the boarder of three countries. We drove to bwindi for a agorilla trek and kibale for a wildlife tour. It is much fun doing a self guided tour because you stop for as long as you wish and can go as far as you wish to, we had fun i must say. I was a little worried at first but my worries got cleared. the roads in Rwanda are good, and just a few challenges in Uganda roads especially the city, but was all awsome.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

Driving in Rwanda is good than any other place, don't drive in Uganda because you will be in an accident and it will take hours for the ambulance to reach you. But in Rwanda it is totally different. drive in Rwanda, but you will have to use a person as your gps as map there is not good to use(map can get you lost)

5. Re: Self Drive in Rwanda/Uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:15