We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

california
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

I am traveling to Senegal on a buying trip for baskets. I am looking for a guide that can help me locate the Wolof Weavers that i can buy large quantities of baskets from.

Dakar
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

I think i can help out. Just send me a mail if u still havent found one.

nefise_s@hotmail.fr

2. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 13:50
Mbour
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

Hi,

A good basket market is located at Thies city 70km south of Dakar.

I think it can help you.

Feel free to contact me for any help.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 17:28
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

Demba would be Ok for Dakar, maybe.

But I believed Trip Advisor and arranged a 20 day trip with him.

When I arrived, he demanded 50% before starting.

I stupidly gave him $1400 US. The car was old, defective. I later learned that he is not really a tour guide. He has no license, no training. He is illegal.

We drove hours into the night - VERY dangerous - at one time there were 3 sets of headlights coming at us! I was there to see the sights - rather impossible when you are driving in the dark. I wanted to wait to leave Dakar but he rushed - for the money and to get on the road. He demanded money on top of the 50 % for his hotel every night, saying he would be "suffering" with anything less than $60 US/night!!!

He and the driver were on their cell phones all the time on the road. When I objected to the constant ringing, Demba said, "We are not your slaves!! We will do whatever we want to do. You white people think you're better than black people. The whole world hates Americans. They want to kill Americans."

It is all my fault. I have been a traveler for years and can not understand why I believed people on Trip Advisor. 2 said they had used him and he is flexible.

Yes, he is flexible because he has no plan, is not trained.

I wasn't able to find a tour operator who deals with English speakers. Tour operators for French speakers are no problem.

My tour with Demba was MORE than a nightmare!! I wound up getting on boats just to avoid being in the car with him and the driver.

I can recommend official TRAINED lovely guides for Senegal now!!!

A former American Peace Corps volunteer helped me tremendously through my ordeal with Demba. She was my savior. I can NOT believe I did this to myself!!!

5. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 13:29
Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

If anyone requires assistance on a forthcoming business trip or otherwise, I am Irish and based in Dakar for the last 18 months, so I have a good knowlledge now of the Senegalese ways of business here.

Email contact : richard.spatz@gmail.com

7. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 10:36
8. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 12:56
9. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 15:45
10. Re: traveling to Senegal on a buying trip, need a guide

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 15:45