We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to dakar,senegal

Chandigarh...
1 post
Save Topic
trip to dakar,senegal

whether i can get travel visa for Dakar[Senegal]

what trip cost

hotel

how much days ,I can see major beautiful places

Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

Does anyone know about visiting the Benedictine Monastery in Dakar? Where is it? Are there guest accommodations?

Dakar, Dakar...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

Hi there! While I haven't personally been to the monastery, I know of its existence. It's the Abbey of Keur Moussa. It's about 15 miles from the city of Dakar. You can find plenty of tour companies online that will have very reasonably priced half day treks out to the monastery for mass. I don't know that there are guest accomodations. That being said, I did see one blog of a guy that stayed there so it may be possible. It'd just take some research.

By the way, I am an Arkansas girl myself and I'm currently living in Dakar. It's an awesome place and I hope you enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Arkansas
Arkansas
United States
Dakar, Dakar...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

You have to have a visa from most countries now. Here's the website to obtain it - www.snedai.sn/en/‎

Cost of living is not expensive here and you should be able to find a reasonable hotel. While there are a couple of things to do in Dakar, such as Goree Island, if you're wanting a beach vacation look into Saly a couple hours outside the city. Far better beaches. And if you want tourist spots to visit, look into Lac Rose, a pink salt lake in the north or the Baobab tree forest. I believe there's also a safari within a day trip from Dakar.

Best of luck!

Mentioned in this post
Goree Island
Goree Island
Dakar Region, Senegal
arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

thank you so much. I will put these on our itinerary. One more question. How did you travel?

arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

How fascinating! Are you studying there? Thank you very much for the info. I will be traveling with a Catholic nun and she wants to make sure to visit that monastery. We plan to visit in December. Do you think Christmas would be interesting in Senegal?

Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
Dakar, Dakar...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

I'm actually a nurse volunteering with an NGO here in the city. Most of the expats here are working at one of the two international schools, working at the embassy, or are working for NGOs. I've been here a couple of months now and it's definitely an experience. It's a great place to get a feel for West Africa.

Senegal is largely Muslim so I didn't expect they'd do Christmas, but actually I hear it's a huge holiday here with plenty of celebrating so there should be lots to see and experience that time of year. I'll get to see a bit of that myself before heading home the week before Christmas.

Have you been to Africa before? If not, I think it's a great place to start.

Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
arkansas
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

Wonderful! You're a nurse volunteering for an NGO. This old lady loves to hear that.

Thank you, Laura, for the helpful information. We shall use it for sure. For our Senegal trip, we will be hosted by

a Catholic family from St. Louis, a couple that my nun friend taught 40 years ago in a college in Texas.

I have a question. We will be staying with them as well as their family members in different parts of

Senegal. What are appropriate gifts? Also, I am a rather relaxed 63 year -old who prefers wearing slacks and t-shirts. Is this a no no? As far as my friend Sr. Rosalie is concerned, would it be scandalous for a nun to wear slacks?

We're coming from Fort Smith. What part of Arkansas are you from? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
Arkansas
Arkansas
United States
Dakar, Dakar...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

Are your friends expats? Or are they native senegalese? Just wondering on the gift front. I brought pepperoni for the friends that helped me organize my trip out. But they have weekly pizza nights and pepperoni is hard to come by here. Honestly, there aren't many things you can't get here. There's even an American food store that carries staples like peanut butter and coffee creamer. I even spied canned pumpkin the other day! Some spices are difficult to come by, so you could do something like that. I would see if y'all can figure out what they like, maybe books, etc. See if they mention anything specific. Other wise, I'm sure they'd appreciate anything :)

I personally wear pants and capris all the time in the city, although I hear skirts are more appropriate in the villages outside the city. I have seen a few nuns here and they have always been in skirts. I'd say it's safe to bring a mix. That way if you're headed out to the island for a day or are just running around town you can wear pants, and you'll have skirts for the monastery, etc. That way you can wear what feels comfortable.

Like I said, I wear pants here in the city all the time and never feel out of place or culturally inappropriate.

I'm from Conway and I certainly miss Arkansas autumn right about now! Hahaha! It will be cooler by the time you get here, though. And you might want to bring a sweater or light jacket. I hear it can be chilly come December/January.

I really hope you enjoy your visit. If you have any other questions, feel free to holler at me :)

Mentioned in this post
Arkansas
Arkansas
United States
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

I just found out this morning that my daughter will be going to Senegal in January for a year-long volunteer program -- and I'm already thinking about planning a trip to visit her, so I really appreciate your posts! The Baobab tree forest sounds like something I'd love to see! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to dakar,senegal

Can anyone give info on the baobab tree forest? How far from Dakar? Tours?

Thank you.