We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing questions

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing questions

We are on the SA coast about 30 minutes North of Durban headed for Malkerns tomorrow. What is the best route to take? What can I expect at the border on a Saturday afternoon? How long will it take to cross in a SA rental car?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing questions

Take Golela/Luvamisa gate. They close at 10:00 PM. I think N2 to Pongola is your best option. Many locals going in and out. SA rental don't take long to get in. In my experience never have problems crossing with a rental. Formalities sometimes change, but nothing that drastic. Tell us your experiences when you get there. Have a great trip. I hope to get there next year. Love the SA, Swazi combo.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
789 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing questions

No trouble on the way in via Golela or on the wayout further North. No lines at all, we were in and out in 10 minutes.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing questions

Glad it was that short and sweet. Its very hard to get update information on this forum. How was Swaziland?

Dorado, Puerto Rico
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing questions

I'm also interested in finding out how was it in Swaziland?

I'm planning a trip from Durban through Swaziland to Kruger park.

Any feeback will be great.

I'm just wandering if the idea is crazy...

Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing questions

Swaziland is very beautiful with excellent roads. People are very friendly. Pleasure to traverse. If you have specific questions, please post.

Dorado, Puerto Rico
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing questions

As I traverse Swaziland, I plan to stay over one night. Would you suggest I book a hotel in advance or just catch one on the fly?

Thanks in advance...

Dexter

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing questions

Dexter,

What type of accommodations you looking for? Always a good idea to book in advance since some travelers would book the same day. Make sure to know the borders hours of operation.

Dorado, Puerto Rico
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Border crossing questions

Thanks for your note. I am just looking for standard accomodations for two people. Nothing fancy. Three or four stars is good.

Thanks again.

Dex

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Border crossing questions

Welp, I like the area of Markerns, near Enzulwini which is Mbabane, for nature, also Malolotja area on the west side near SA is very nice for nature as well, Enzulwini Valley have several hotels good for a one nite like Mantega Lodge IMO good value for one nite, Milwane's Reilly Rock I would take a look at it, few on central side, but I prefer the west side, nothing wrong with east, just a bit isolated and less activities, althought Swaziland is slow compare to SA. As the poster boudeca stated earlier, Swaziland is nice, people are great, quite, and less crime, sure it has some weird parts. Enjoy Dex.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Border crossing questions

What do you mean by it has some weird parts?