We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General but important questions

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
General but important questions

Just wonder about the followings, hope someone can advise, when traveling around Swaziland,

1) How are credit cards ( Visa / Master ) being accepted?

2) How convertible are the money to/from Rand, are there any exchange controls, can we convert unsed money back into foreign currency?

3) How is access to internet? Availability of WiFi, or mobile 3G?

4) Which carrier would be recommended for mobile tel as well as data 3G?

5) How available are ATMs to draw cash from foreign accounts ?

Or they are same as / compatible with South African systems.

cheers

cheers

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General but important questions

Hi,

Rands can be use in Swaziland and I prefer you get Rands because Emalangeni is hard to get in SA. WIFI is so so but depending which hotels you staying, speed can be ok. MTN is the primary service provider in Swaziland, and is ok, for the most part. The biggest number of ATM are in the Mbabane area, still I prefer to get the cash in SA. You can exchange back in the airpotr assuming you returning back to Joberg,

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General but important questions

Hi

Do you incur roaming charges in Swaziland if using MTN?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General but important questions

Just finished my trip. Swaziland has no roaming arrangments with any carrier in SA. Wifi is available in a hostel I stayed in Ezulwini.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General but important questions

How was the trip Oz?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General but important questions

The trip was really great. It totally changed my, probably many of those who only read about Africa in the news, opinion about Africa. I traveled through SA, Botswana, Namibia, and touched Lesotho and into Victoria Falls then through Swaziland, all great country, and people.

Except, and I warn everyone, do not walk anywhere in downtown J'Burg. I got mugged on day 1 in broad daylight and in the middle of town on a main street. But do not hold that against the rest of South Africa, it is still a great country with excellent infrastructure and good people, all races.

ATM was widely available throughout the trip, and credit card usable in most places, but do carry about $100 worth of local currency at all time helps. Supermarket are generally good unless in some very remote locations.

Never tried to convert money back into dollars, so with proper planning, it really isn't needed.

The only issue is, when crossing borders, in my case, I need to pay for local road permits ( all foregin cars do ), which is really only about $20 or so, but there are no ATM at or near the border posts. And they do not take credit cards or dollars....

Mobile signals are generally plentiful along the main highways everywhere, so it pays to get a local SIM card for $20 or so.

cheers

cheers

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General but important questions

Hey I agree on Joberg and true that, SA and Swazis in general are great people, and talking about ATM, the same goes on safety, I watched some bank companies uploading money at ATM machines with big guns, so also I do recommend to keep eyes open on ATM's as well.

Welp, let me tell you the Bulembu gate have NO computer system processing passports, all manual. So ATM machines are zero in all gates in Swazi. I entered in most gates, and never saw one.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Did you stay in Swazi? any activities? Cheers back and thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General but important questions

Yeah did stay in Swazi for three days, especially in Ezulwini, mainly light cultural sightseeings, no game parks as I was heading to Kruger afterwards. Great place, great people. Will go see the Weed Dancing Festival next time, if it can be timed into the schedule perfectly.

8. Re: General but important questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 06:16