We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

I have been researching this for several months, I have periods of time that I can spend a few hours than I have to work to try and pay for this. After my last post, I received really great information. Here is my problem.:

1. We definitely want to do Tanzania, a short safari.

2. We must see the gorillas, either Uganda or Rwanda.

3. We would like to see the chimps, country doesn't make a difference.

So, I emailed all of these tours companies in Uganda and to see the gorillas and chimps is very expensive.

Does anyone know if we can see the gorilas in Rwanda and the chimps in Tanzania/Rwanda??? Or maybe just go to Uganda for the Chimps?

If we skip Uganda, what will we miss by "just" going to Rwanda and Tanzania?

To those experts who have helped me in the past few months, thank you for any more help you can give me, this is very ":challenging" to try and figure out.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,650 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

I remember the gist of your last post but not the detail so regrets if duplication occurs.

You can "do" Gorillas is Rwanda and then hop a plane to, or arrive from, Tanzania quite easily. Easier than Uganda where you are faced with a longish drive from any airport to where the Gorillas are found. IF time is of the essence then do that!

Chimps. To reach Gombe Stream and other Chimp locations in Tanzania is not easy. So you are stuck with two alternates. Several locations in Uganda and one in Rwanda. Neither location is suitable for a quick drive there and back. Rwandan chimps are in Ngungwe Forest which is a good days drive from Kigali or Ruhengire.

Ugandan chimps are in many locations in the west of the country. They are actually in Bwindi but you won't see them as they are not habituated.

Of course you could visit the Chimp Sanctuary on Ngamba Island just a speedboat ride from Entebbe if you wish!

However for "wild" chimps you need to trek. If chimps are important to you, I never bother with them, then you must visit Uganda. So it then makes sense to see the Gorillas there too. I don't think Uganda is any more expensive than Rwanda so am surprised at your comments.

Frankly I found Rwanda more expensive and decidedly avaricious on my last visit in 2010 and far preferred Uganda for many reasons.

You will miss a lot of very nice people if you don't visit Uganda. All you will miss in Rwanda is your money!

I hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

I agree with Mfuwe, Rwanda is more expensive.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

My daughter is there. Ditto, and insert the word, "much" in front of, "more expensive."

san francisco
Level Contributor
652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

We did this last summer (Uganda, Rwanda, then Tanzania). We both far preferred Uganda to Rwanda in terms of the people we met.

Be advised (you probably already were so advised) that the tour operators that are licensed for Uganda / Rwanda are not licensed for Tanzania. We contracted with a single company for both countries and it was a big mistake because they subcontracted the Tanzania portion without letting us know.

So, in lieu of more up-to-date info, you probably will want two separate companies.

Have a great time!

-- Bill

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

Can you tell me the tour companies you used? What did you see in each of the countries?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

@ xcapeohio

If you click on billt4sf you will go into his profile which allows you to view all his contributions. His trip reports are there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

I am still trying to plan this trip and once again will ask for advice. Due to time and money, we have decided that Tanzania will be our main trip with just a side trip to see the gorillas. The chimps are out, as is spending time in Uganda. Do you suggest Rwanda or Uganda for the gorillas? reading your posts, you seem to prefer Uganda but Rwanda is much easier to get to. Will rwanda be that much more expensive? Will the number or quality of the experience be that much different?

thank you again for allyour help

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

I don't know about that. It depends on how long you'll be in Kigali for I guess, and the costs involved in getting there?

Uganda has 3 groups, I think it's about one with 6, one with 18, and another with a similar number. The central (Buhoma) and southern groups are the easiest to access from the accommodation.

I would PM someone directly, did Bill go to Rwanda Ponaire? People don't mind a direct request for help.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

Hi Shelly - yes he did. It's all in the Uganda report - he trekked twice - once in Uganda and once in Rwanda. This should be the link...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…34767809

I have sent pms and receive them too so yes, most people don't mind them and are happy to help.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rwanda/Uganda paired with Tanzania

Thanks m'dear!