We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Birmingham, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

I'm new to posting on Tripadvisor, normally only check feedback.

We are planning a trip to Uganda in late summer and wanted to hire a vehicle with a driver /safari guide.

We have contacted a few car hire operators recommended on here. Quotes have come back for car, with driver (including all his costs), unlimited mileage but EXCLUDING fuel. That's fine so far.

But can someone please help explain how we would pay for the fuel - at each re-fueling petrol station - given receipts at end of tour - charged an overall amount based on miles covered??

We don't really want to go for a car+fuel basis because we want the flexibility of changing our plans and hence mileage?

Any experience and help would really be welcomed on what is the norm?

thank you

Edited: 14 March 2012, 22:26
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

When I did this on my last trip I took a car for a fixed sum to include Insurance etc., for a fixed rate per day. I hired my own driver and bought my own fuel. More or less as we do from Avis in UK.

When we needed fuel we put it in and paid the Pump attendant in cash.

So your ption 1 of 3 would seem to apply.

I suppose you could arrange for the driver to have a float and you settle later but it is just so much simpler to pay yourself as you go.

Take it full, bring it back full.

Such arrangements are not particularly common in Uganda as of course most folks get the car/driver package as part of a full blown safari excursion where the owner estimates the cost of fuel to be consumed based on a known itinerary.

Good luck.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Better to hire with fuel.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Why do you say that brovada? How can we know how much fuel we will use?

Birmingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Thank You mfuwe, that is helpful, and exactly what I had hoped to do.

I realise that it's an added hassle to pay at each fuel-up but at least you know how much fuel you've used rather than an overall estimate the operator has come up with at the start of the trip - surely fuel consumption must vary! We may decide to just take it easy a day or two and do no traveling - presumably you don't get any money back then.

And I am not suggesting that the driver will trick us, its just we are on a tight budget so just needed to keep an eye on $.

Any other views would really be welcomed!

Would the operator be willing to let me do this?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

The right operator should cooperate or you find another "right operator!"

I agree about pay as you go. After all at some places your car can be stood around idle while you go on walks, visits or launch rides.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

I agree with Mf.

Pay as you go is the best solution.

You can not estimate how much to consume during your safari.

Note that fuel prices vary depending on where you are.

Fuel is more expensive in upcountry than Kampala city.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Hello

It's very common to offer people the chance to pay their own fuel.

Red Chili Safaris can get drivers from between 150-200 k UGX per day (they pay their accommodation and food).

I know of another good driver who has a vehicle with a pop-up roof who falls into this bracket.

So, yes.. this is a good way to do things here. Price of fuel has fallen again, you are currently looking at 3200 /- per litre of diesel with an ER of between 3600 - 4000 /- to £.

Birmingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Thank you Shelly

the current price of diesel and ER are really useful, will help me work out roughly how much we can expect to spend on fuel.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

:) ty.

I am clarifying my comment above, as it isn't clear.

For example, RC can get a driver for [you] at that price (not their own drivers) and the drivers pay their own food and accomm. You just put the fuel.

Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for fuel if hiring vehicles & driver (no fuel basis)

Hello Travelspace

We are thinking of doing a similar thing next year with a trip to Uganda. Who are you looking at hiring your car & driver through? And roughly how much are you paying per day?

I am assuming you are booking your accomodation directly with the lodges/camps? Have you had any problems?

Thanks