We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Churchill Safaris

New York, NY
12 posts
Save Topic
Churchill Safaris

Anyone have experience with Churchill Safaris? We are planning on booking a Kenya-Tanzania-Rwanda tour with them. I am posting on the Uganda forum because they are based in Kampala. For some reason, their website is down as of today so I am concerned. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bwindi Impenetrable...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Churchill Safaris

I think everyone has answered your question but just for added peace of mind - I have dealt with Churchills a lot and all their drivers/guides are well presented, extremely friendly and very knowledgeable. From my experiences with Churchills i would highly reccomend them.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
777 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Churchill Safaris

And, in fifteen days we are looking forward to seeing one of the Churchill staffers greet us at the Entebbe airport for the start of a safari there.

Dick

san francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Churchill Safaris

Hi Dac,

I agree with the earlier posters about Churchill in Uganda *BUT* I would be cautious about engaging them for a multi-country trip. We did so last year, here is my review:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293840-i9254-k466…

What you need to be aware of is that they will sub-contract out the Kenya portion of your trip (apparently tour companies are licensed only for certain countries). They did this with us AND THEY DIDN'T TELL US. We ended up being sub-contracted to another company (Leopard Tours, in Tanzania) without our knowledge that we didn't want and would not have chosen. The experience in Uganda was wonderful, the experience in Tanzania was less than great.

On the other hand, if they disclose this information to you, give you a contact to work with, and the price is right, then why not?

Good luck on your safari and have a great time. We can't wait to go back to Africa.

- Bill

Bray Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Churchill Safaris

We travelled with Churchill Safaris last May and bar a couple of very minor glitches found them very good. There was no problem with any payment. We had a driver / guide, Isaac, for the entire trip and this worked out really well for us. We overnighted first in Kampala and then early next day headed for Paraa Lodge up at Murchison Falls. Our other stops were - Katara Lodge, Mahogany Springs Lodge and Mihingo Lodge. These were all wonderful places to stay. The one bad stop was Ntungwe River Lodge which we thought was pretty dire - this was the main glitch ! We did our gorilla tracking from Mahogany Springs. We were assigned the Oruzogo Gorilla Family - you don't have a choice, you are assigned your gorillas and your tracking group. Now, we had read that this tracking could be a challenge but let me say........they are not called MOUNTAIN gorillas for nothing !!!! The terrain in the jungle/forest was extremely steep both up and down several times. It was also very hot and humid. By the time we reached the gorillas we were exhausted :( This is not a trek for the faint hearted or anyone who is in any way unfit. The guides were wonderful and could not have been more helpful. The best advice we got was to take lots of water (at least 3 litres), take a stick or trekking pole and bring an old pair of gardening gloves or similiar for grabbing tress with sharp thorns. Hire a porter..........they are waiting and delighted to be hired and it costs almost nothing - you will be very glad after an hour up and downhill ! This was our other glitch - we hadn't been so advised and only took one between us at thy last minute. The gorilla experience itself is absolutely amazing - you wonder who exactly is looking at who ! Uganda itself was so beautiful and all the people we met were kind and very friendly. It is a very unspoiled country.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Churchill Safaris

Nice report Dympna.

Did you complain about Ntungwe to Churchill? You should do.

(I am booked into Ntungwe later this year, my request. Should I be concerned?)

Yes. Some groups can be arduous but the tired legs get a new lease of life when you hear the magic words "Put your bags here, the gorillas are near!"

And then find yourself the subject of curious scrutiny by your cousins.

Now I am going to ask AASAfaris to translate what he said earlier. He may have been offering to buy me a drink!

Bray Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Churchill Safaris

Well, I don't wish to put anyone off the River Camp because the people there were very nice. It was just the end of the rainy season and this was the reason given for everything being very wet, dark and damp. However, if I was going back to Uganda, I would not stay there again. There's another River Camp Lodge in that are that we heard was very good. The main reason for our visit to that area was to look for tree climbing lions...............not a sight of any kind of lion or much else really ! Hope you have better luck.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Churchill Safaris

Thanks. I hope so.

(not with the Lions but with the Lodge. I like my comforts.)

18. Re: Churchill Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:15