We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

I'm starting initial trip research for Uganda, as we want to go next year. Aside from the gorilla permits, does anything else need to booked months and months in advance? We will of course book lodging and tours prior to going, I'm just wondering what needs to be booked a year out, other than the gorillas?

Also, if you book the gorilla permits without a packaged tour group, that permit comes with a mandatory guide, I assume. So if you book the permit with a packaged tour group ... is it still the same mandatory guide you would get had you booked it without the packaged tour group. Or is it a different type of guide provided by the group? I hope my question makes sense.

Thank you!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

It makes sense.

What you 'buy' when you get the Gorilla permit is permission to join the trek on the day stated to the gorilla family stated. i.e. 1st April 2022 for Nshongi Group. that's it. No guide no porter. You are simply booking a place on that trek that day.

Then as you say you can book the rest later on when required. One word of caution, Once you get the Gorilla permits it would make sense to ensure accommodation is available in that location too and book it.

Guides. There is of course a trained "Mandatory" guide, and some porters attached to your trek by the wildlife authority You will have these irrespective of any other guide you may or may not have provided by the Operator. The charge for this guide is part of the trek package.

Your own guide/driver as provided with the vehicle by the Operator is paid for by you. They are not the same thing. He will not accompany you on the gorilla trek.

I hope this clears matters for you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

That does help! Thank you!

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Accommodation should also be booked in advance. May be 4- 2 months to your trekking date

Kasese, Uganda
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

i think mr mfuwe have answered your question very well, the best way is to get accomodation where you treck the gorillas, experienced driver guide, 4x4 car and may be to book accomodation in advance 4 - 3 month. good luk

kampala
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Chimpanzee permits, launch trips on Kazinga or Victoria Nile

Kampala
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Accommodation and Chimp permits are very important.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Hello and welcome to the forum YAY! another Californian, there are a fair few of you!

No need to pre-book boat trips. You can just rock up with those, although your tour operator might schedule them in for you.

If you wanted to do white water rafting in Jinja, that might be something to consider as well - wouldn't need to book miles in advance though.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Just one more piece of advice , if you book the tour with a commitment fee, your tour operator will do the rest of the booking for you including the gorilla and chimpanzee permits .

Edited: 16 May 2012, 16:07
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

By commitment fee do you mean the gorilla permit fee I pay in advance? Or is a commitment fee a fee in addition tot he permit fee I pay for up front? Thanks!

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Must Be Booked in Advance Aside from Gorillas?

Commitment fee may be part of the total cost price of the entire tour . Some tour operators ask for a 30% deposit for commitment , while others aske for a 50% deposit .

The amount required totally depends on the time you book and the operator that you use.

Get answers to your questions about Uganda