We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Ebola?

Ghent
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Ebola?

So I'm leaving august 5th (in about a week) but now I'm reading these alarming news items about "ebola".

What can I do? I'll be located in Mukono (a 20 min drive, eastern from Kampala) by the way.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Ebola?

Hello and welcome to the forum

Which alarming news items? There are literally thousands of visitors coming through the airport each week, and the same number of expat residents - none of whom - as far as I'm aware - has had any trouble.

Please send links.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Ebola?

Time Out on the edit. OK I googled, there's an article in the Guardian.

This is way to the west, I really wouldn't worry, as unfortunate as it is. There are 16 maternal deaths everyday in Uganda that don't make news, just to get things into perspective; and probably twice that on the roads. We had a sole case last year, believed to have been contracted by dirty domestic conditions of bat faeces.

If you go rafting whilst you are here, I'd be far more inclined to urge you to be concerned about bilharzia and take note of the relevant medication to go home with.

Enjoy Uganda!

Ghent
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Ebola?

Thank you so much for your reply. Since it's a disease they don't have any medication for (yet), is it a good idea to not go chimp trekking (unless the news that it's under control ofc)?

It scares me a bit though

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Ebola?

Crumbs no! Not in my personal opinion, however, if you are really concerned that much, then maybe it's better you don't go?

Why don't you get here, and take advice?

Try not to panic too much. Look at the Foreign Office website, for travel information.

Kampala
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Ebola?

You really need to be in close proximity with someone to catch Ebola (and they would usually be displaying symptoms).

The likelihood of you catching something like this extremely unlikely. For people who live in Uganda this is not a concern whatsoever. So for tourists it should be even less of a concern.

However, the reports about diseases like Ebola usually tend to be very sensationalist, so it is not surprising that this would be a worry from the outside looking in.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 19:19
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Ebola?

It would be quite wrong for me or anyone else to say ignore these reports. So I won't.

Ebola post up now and again in the far west of Uganda. I have not read the latest report to which you refer but I am guessing am guessing that is where the outbreak will be located.

My plans to visit Bundibogyo later this year have not changed. The Ugandan Medics will deal with it.

I now see it is in Kibale district. Closer to Kampala and a tourist destination.

Same applies.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 19:35
Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Ebola?

The ebola thing was all over twitter and what can be conformed is that it's being reported in Kibaale and not Mukono or Eastern Uganda. so fill free to travel form the airport/Entebbe to Eastern Uganda. thanks.

we will try to let travelers know where out break is.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Ebola?

Will somebody please help out with the spelling of this place?

Is it Kibaale and is that the same place as Kibale?

Ebola is spread by contact with blood or other secretions from an infected person. I don't think your average tourist is at risk.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 11:07
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Ebola?

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/Ebola+breaks+out+in+Kibaale/-/688334/1465214/-/x4wbra/-/index.html

It's north east of Fort Portal on the Hoima road. So yes, interchangeable spelling I think.

Typically, I expect the symptoms were missed until the numbers starting going up, unfortunately.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Ebola?

Shelly thanks for the link.

A few days back at least 13 people died from un known disease 8 of them from the same family so the neighbors mis-interpreted the matter to be superstitions.

The disease has been a mystery until today.