We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Hello

Firstly I would like to say thank you to all the contributors for sharing their knowledge ,making it so much easier in planning my 12 day discover Uganda tour.

This will be my first trip to Africa, initially my focus was on Rwanda to visit the gorillas and then across to Kenya to visit the Masi Mara.

On reading through the forums I was pulled towards Uganda as there is more diversity in scenery, wildlife and activities.

Due to time and costs and likelihood of not being able to return to Africa ( other countries to also visit) I am wondering if after visiting Uganda and viewing all of the wildlife if the Masai Mara would still be a must see for difference. From what I have read the big 5 are in Uganda however in smaller numbers.

Also I had initially planned visiting the gorillas on my significant birthday which is late April however when getting quotes in only one tour operator recommended April as being a bad time to visit as many bridges are down due to rain and April 2013 could be worse.

Could April (providing I can get a gorilla permit) still work for both Uganda and if I decide on the Masai Mara, for game viewing or would the grass be to high for easy sighting.

If I do decide on the Masai Mara I was planning on taking a bus from Kampala to Nairobi. Would it be advisable to travel during the day rather than overnight for safety reasons.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Gorillas can be viewed all year round.

April is low season , so the competition for gorilla permits is low as well.

True Uganda has the big 5 though in small numbers, My advise is you go for Murchison falls that is larger and has more wild life compared to queen Elizabeth park.

Do not miss Ziwa Sanctuary for the Rhinos, the rest of the big 5, can be found in Murchison falls and connection from one park to the other is simple.

As for Masai maraa, I guess you are not looking at wild beest migration as around April, the beests are likely to be on the Serengeti side.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Thank you for your reply.Yes, visits to Murchison Falls, Queen Elizabeth and Kibale NP are on my list.

No not interested during Wilderbeest migration as from what I have read people and safari vehicles can kinda out number the animals.Not keen on travel during peak seasons.

What do you think about the bus travel ,is overnight travel safe.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

April is OK. It rains all year round in Mountains anyway.

I love the bit about your Tour Op knowing which bridges will go down next year. He should get a job with Government!

Do go for our significant birthday. You won't regret it. Worry about "possible" infrastructure problems later.

I have never been to Maasai mara. Doubt I ever will. Too many people.

Go for quality not quantity every time.

You will see Elephant, Lion and Buffalo. Rhinos at Ziwa which you can walk with. OK not truly wild. Leopard are elusive where ever you go. They are there. Lots of them but it is finding them that is the hard bit.

I don't recommend overnight bus travel or car travel in Africa after dark. Too many accidents.

Stick to Uganda and Rwanda. Leave Kenya and even Tanzania for next time. You WILL be back. (As Arnie would say!)

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Hello and welcome to the forum

I wrote a reply early this morning, then hit the wrong button and the whole thing was lost - but basically my point was concerning the bridges. What a strange thing to say to you! It sounds like they may be steering you to an alternative date? (Maybe a pricier one??) Anyway... yes there were problems this past "spring" because rain undermined some weak structures, but the main culprits were Congalese HGVs and oil tankers, including overweight ones. I can vouch for standing on a temporary bailey bridge early last month and photographing the new bridges under construction (nice gabion baskets! sad yes, you can take the girl out of civil engineering marketing, but you can't ... etc). There's a contract with one company for several new build bridges. And UWA has put a weighbridge in QE in an effort to control these vehicles.

Couldn't agree more, enjoy your special birthday!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Thank you Mfuwe and Shelly for your reply.

Haha, yes the tour operator suggested December this year. I also agree about quality verses quantity. I was lucky to see a few white rhino's in Chitwan NP Nepal so will look forward to seeing black ones at the sanctuary.

I believe I could possibly see girrafe but not Zebra's in Uganda?

Thanks for the information about the bridges as I would really like to be with the gorillas in April, I shall have faith that my driver will be wily enough to find a route in whatever conditions.

I am trying to make a decision between two tour operators Churchill and Katona. Initially Churchill were prompt with reply but two emails bounced back stating mailbox full and a further two have not been replied to.Katona have been very prompt. Shelly, as you live in Kampala could Churchills server have gone down.

Cheers

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Lets get the biology sorted out.

No White Rhino in Nepal. Asian or Indian One horned Rhino.

The Ziwa Rhino's are Southern White Rhino.

Giraffe only in Murchison and Kidepo Parks. Plus all the Kobs, Hartebeeste etc.,Lion Elephant Buffalo etc.,

QENP. No giraffe or Hartebeeste other wise as above. Giant Forest Hogs.

Zebra, Buffalo, Topi and Impala in Lake Mburo NP. Buffalo. Lion do put in an appearance now and again but the farmers poison them.

Churchill have had problems with computers lately.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

Haha.Thanks Mfuwe for technically putting me straight about my Rhinos.

Never fear I will be brushing up on my biology before leaving for Uganda.

Well sounds like I will be totally satisfied with all that Uganda has on offer.

Cheers

8. Re: Uganda Safari plus ? Masai Mari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:16