We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

After doing a lot of reading and thinking about our interests, i came up with the following...fyi..I went to kenya just last year... Did a lot of game drives ... took in a lot of beautiful scenery..loved all of it but I would like this trip to be a little different... about primates and calving season in tz which i think will be great to see.

So here it is... Feedback requested and welcome!!

Day 1- leave USA

2- arrive in uganda.. Spend night in Entebbe.. ( rec for lodging welcome)

3- travel to kibale

4- chimp trek

5- travel to bwindi

6- gorilla trek 1

7- gorilla trek 2

8- r&r day in bwindi (or light excursion)

9- travel to ngocongoro crater rim. (tz). Stay at serena lodge

10- ngo

11- ngo

12- travel to ndutu safari lodge

13- ndutu

14- ndutu

15- leave for USA

16- arrive USA

17- go back to work. :)

Thanks so much

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Hello, how are you getting from Bwindi to the crater?

Am glad of the R&R day.

There are a few good places to stay in EBB; Boma, Airport Guest House, and other places include new Protea with lovely Lake view although I haven't been to it I heard from a friend. Charm factor - am guessing the first 2 would tick boxes, including good service. It's only a bed for the night and a decent breakfast after all!

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

The double gorilla trekking should be done in different locations with different gorilla families

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,449 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Day 5 is a long haul day. Right past QENP too. Shame!

Day 9. (Repeats mantra about only doing one country!)

That is so impossible as to beggar belief!

The exception being a private chartered Gulfstream from the strip just north of Butagota, or Ishasha, to Entebbe for Emmigration, to JRO or Mwanza for Immigration and then on to Manyara follwed by 2 or three hours to the Crater rim by road. (Unless this last bit is done by Helicopter.)

Never knew Makeup artists were so well heeled!

Seriously, mantra apart, back to the drawing board.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for the lodging recs... As for how to get from bwindi to crater.. Haven't gotten that far yet.. I figure let me get some feedback first if the order even makes sense.. But Can i assume a tour opertor will take care of travel between locations? (unless they are short drives 3-4 hours max i would probsbly opt to fly.)

Ugandasafaris.. thank you for your input.. I asked this exact question in another thread.. I am satisfied stayng in the same lodge but visiting different gorilla families.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Mfuwe..

Re: day 9... YIKES!!!!!

Makeup artists are not well heeled, but we can be stubborn. :)

ANY way to make these four locations work?

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

So i take it the issue is that there is no easy.. Or even moderately difficult ... route between the 2 countries? :((((((((

Mfuwe: Do i admit defeat now or later? (my husband would be SHOCKED.. So you have to promose not to tell.. LOL )... or do i just win the lottery so i can charter a plane.. in which case would become a moot point, because i would spend 2 months in Africa... Work? What work? LOL

*sigh*

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Ok... Another question.. If i go to bwindi.. Somehow someone has to get me back to entebbe.. What about spending one night there and then heading to TZ the next day? I can probably extend the vacation time a couple of days (sorry, had to give this one more try). :)

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Your best bet I think is to fly from Kigali down there - border to Kigali is easy drive. I say I think, as my 2 considered every possible means to get to Tnz (actually Dar for the coast) from Kigali, and flew to Kili, stayed in Arusha, and then had a hideous bus journey - because the silly airline website didn't show the flight went on to Dar...

However, they were contemplating getting to the Crater, until they found out how hideously expensive 2 days was.

Am sure it's entirely possible on a light aircraft but those costs are scarily high. Flight from Kigali is around $269 pp I think.... (I was there at the point of sale!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

So i would have to get a visa to go into rwanda and head to tz from there

When i think of coming from the USA which is easily 24 hours..not to mention the airfare from the USA.. And then not making what looks like such a short distance work... I know its a very different world there as far as roads and infrastructure. .. But still... ;(

So close yet so far... *sigh*

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here goes nothing .. (first itin)

Well, I think that is the cheapest option - even with the visa cost (obtainable at the airport). I know to fly from EBB to Kidepo is the best part of $1000, but you could try:

Eagle Air; AirServ; Precision Air... I hope someone else comes along and gives you a better idea and any others I have missed though. You can email them direct.