We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which gorilla group?

tennessee
Level Contributor
263 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Which gorilla group?

We are traveling in Feb. 2014 and have settled on Buhoma area for gorilla trek. We have eliminated the H group because it appears they travel widely and could be the most difficult to track. That leaves Rushegura and Mubare. Is Mubare still only 6 members? Any advice on which to choose? We are 3 women in mid 50's and 60's. We will also being doing a 2nd trek in Rwanda. Thanks in advance!

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which gorilla group?

Rushegura is the best idea since Mubare has less members in its family than Rushegura.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which gorilla group?

We trekked the Rushegura group but they were only a 5-10 minute walk from the trailhead! We found this a bit disappointing as we were actually wanting a hike but they were a good group overall - they moved around quite a bit though (but not any distance) so we followed them. Twice one brushed past my OH. Did you have a look at my photos and video I posted - that might give you an idea of the "R" group? I think generally people would choose them over Mubare simply due to the numbers but then group dynamics can change - especially if you're not trekking for 18 months! I know we were told by the R ranger than once he didn't get back until 8pm as the group were far away so the groups also move.

I think I would agree with AASafaris to go with the R group - but just bear in mind that they may be further away.

In Rwanda we trekked the Hirwa group which we absolutely loved and which has the famous twins. This was a bit more of a trek but still perfectly manageable (home well in time for lunch!) and in our group were others of a similar age to yourselves and they managed with no problems but Rwanda groups are assigned on the day so you don't need to worry about that.

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which gorilla group?

As others have recommended, I too recommend Rushegura family. It is the best group in Buhoma at the moment.

This family has a record of visiting nearby lodges once in a while.

Delaware
Level Contributor
451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which gorilla group?

Curious -- what happens if a family you've been assigned to months ahead of time moves across a border in the meantime? Do they assign you to another family somehow or since those are already booked I'd assume you're out of luck? Does that ever happen?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which gorilla group?

I think that only happens in Mgahinga Park where one group likes to go to Congo for a holiday now and again. Despite Bwindi being very close to DRC I have not heard of it happening there. Always possible I suppose.

The problem with R group is getting them to stay outside the village if the Celery is ripe.. They follow you home for a handout!

In truth I think if it did happen that a group went over the border the Scouts would know and persuade them back. NO Passports up there!

Delaware
Level Contributor
451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which gorilla group?

Good to know! We've been assigned R & H. I guess if one goes on walkabout next Feb. we'll just have a good long hike but no worries.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which gorilla group?

H is clear of the border up towards "the neck".

R is closer to town.

I am there in January so if I see them I will ask them to behave.

Delaware
Level Contributor
451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which gorilla group?

It would be most appreciated. Maybe a celery bribe is in order.

Kasese, Uganda
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which gorilla group?

rushegura group is the best, i took my clients they it takes 10 minuts to see them. it was very amaizing. in rwanda you can track hirwa it also very amaizing. thanks good luck

Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which gorilla group?

Which property would give us better access to this group? Volcanoes bwindo lodge or nkuringo gorilla camp?