We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Hi all,

I am debating between the two properties.. Both seem nice

Your thoughts on:

1- proximity to gorilla groups.. I understand it's a hike no matter what and it's difficult to predict nature and what animals will do.. But if you have any experiences to share about how long it took you to find the groups, that would be great

2 - temperature/climate.. If i am understanding it correctly, the gorilla camp is at a high altitude.. And there is no heat source in the rooms.. Did anyone who stayed there find it too cool? I don't mind bringing things like thermal underwear just in case (i get cold easily) but i don't want to feel like i am shivering constantly either.

3- views and the likelihood of gorillas visitng the property

4 - bugs.. Thats one thing that concerns me about the volanoe

property..a couple of reviews point to that.. Which is probably not an issue at the gorilla camp due to the high altitude.. Are bugs that troublesome at the volcanoes property?

Fyi.. Going in the month of February

I also understand there is a price difference .. Volcanoes being more pricey..which i am willing to make work IF i think it will suit us better overall.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Both lodge are in different locations

1.Bwindi Lodge

-It is in Buhoma pricey (high end) and hear it is good.

2. Nkuringo gorilla camp is located in Kisoro (budget) and also good.

I have slept at this campsite, it has new rooms non self contained but very nice.

It also has cottages that are self contained.

They provide hot water for bathing and at night they provide bottles with worm water for keeping one worm in bed.

They also make a camp fire at night especially when it is cold.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Explained on "Which gorilla group"

1. Nkuringo is well to the south with views over Virungas and into DRC.

There are several 'good' gorilla groups there. One sometimes as close as 30 minutes away. I should underscore "sometimes!"

Volcanoes place is in Buhoma Village along with many other Lodges. As you say, somewhat pricey. Some say it does not have the ambience of some other less expensive Lodges.

You decide which to stay at depending on which Gorilla family you have the permit for. They are 170km apart by road.

2.You will get Hot Water bottles in your bed at most places. I think altitude difference between the two is in the order of 400metres. That is 4 degrees of lapse if I remember correctly.

3. Great views at Nkuringo where you can see the red glow from a current eruption in DRC. Sadly no Gorillas come to call.

They are known to visit Buhoma Camps. Volcanoe Lodge had no views to speak of.

4. Mossies are rare at that altitude. There are flying insects everywhere.

Wait til you meet the bottle flies of Ndali. Harmless.

Depends on our budget. At that price range I would choose Gorilla Forest Camp which is the creme de la creme and always has been. And the gorillas came to play on the garden steps after some of my friends visited them in the forest.. My last visit they were just on the track 50metres away while I was stood on the foot of the steps leading to the Lodge..But do not please build up your hopes on this. It may happen but it is a rare treat only.

Edit for Uganda Safaris Rafiki.

sorry I know I should not laugh at spelling but "why would I want to keep a worm in my bed?" LoL. Pole.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 16:10
Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

are you referring to Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp?

sorry to sound ignorant, but the names sometimes are so similar, that I get confused

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Gorilla Forest Camp run by Sanctuary Lodges. Yes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

ok, thanks.. MORE choices!! :)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

Not short of choices in that area of Bwindi. Not quite Cabo but heading that way. (Joking I hope!!)

It depends on your budget.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

yes.. and from all the reading.. seems that area is the best for the gorilla viewing...now to go over the options!! The reviews here are definitely very helpful.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

I stayed in both Buhoma and Nkuringo and saw A grand total of one mosquito at Buhoma. In Buhoma, I stayed at Bihoma Lodge....LOVED it. In Nkuringo, at Asgario's place, can't recall exact name. Alos a wonderful place. Both used hot water bottles, and neither were unpleasantly cold. outside, wore only a fleece vest, even in the cooler times of evening and early morning

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

calinurse - are you back now or still travelling? Really looking forward to hearing about your time in Uganda;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Volcanoes bwindi lodge vs nkuringo gorilla camp

One operator recommended mahogany springs.. I guess a relatively new property... I checked out their website and read the reviews ..seems to be a great value for what they are providing.