We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Dear all,

I'm planning to do a 4 day gorilla tour in either Uganda or Rwanda with two friends in early November.

Any advice on which country is better to go to/ has better or more tours? Information on your companies is also most welcome!

Many thanks

Affiola

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Bwindi I impenetrable national park is the best! Try it out you wont be disappointed.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 06:44
Zurs, Austria
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

I did gorilla tracking in both countries Uganda and Rwanda with jewel safari ltd (www.jewelsafaris.com) but Bwindi impenetrable national park is the best , Since you're booking this on last minute it will not be easly for you to get a November gorilla permit in Rwanda.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Uganda side at Bwindi beats the Rwandan side in price and amust see where you will not take long hikes.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

For a very short trip, Rwanda is better as it's closer to kigali airport than bwindi is to Entebbe. In Rwanda they try and assign people to groups on the day based on fitness, specific requirements etc. In Uganda you're assigned your group at the point of booking your permit and those groups can move!

Personally we much preferred Uganda over Rwanda as it has so much more to offer and the friendliest people but if someone is simply wanting to fly in, do a gorilla trek and fly out, Rwanda is easier - but much more expensive!!!

But as the previous poster says, the first thing to do is check your permit availability!

Edited: 12 September 2012, 07:07
Kampala
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

I agree with the above posts.

In terms off accessiblity ofcourse Rwanda is better and the trekking is much easier there.

Gorilla permits for Uganda cost 500$ , much cheaper than the ones for Rwanda that cost 750$.

If you consider to have a general wildlife trip, on top of the gorillas, Uganda has more to offer.

And yes contact UWA to check on the availability of the gorilla permits for your travel dates.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Grateful to Ponaire who is a visitor having done it, and the others who are local and know the industry.

I think much depends on your routing/plans, airline prices, and the Biggest Factor of Them All -

Time!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

I don't agree with Ugandasafaris. In Uganda we have rushegura group at times it takes 30 minutes for the client to see them and its the largest family in wold with 36 family member. On a lucky day you view 99% of them and the minimum you can view is 20 gorillas.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Brovads i think you miss understood me.

With accessibility from Kigali Airport to volcanoes, agree or not the distance is shorter than Entebbe Airport to Bwindi forest.

or from Kigali to Bwindi forest.

And the time taken to encounter the gorillas depends on their movements , lets say luck, whether the trek is done in Rwanda or Uganda. It can even take less than 30 minutes in Uganda.

Other wise gorillas in both countries are the same.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 19:34
kabale, africa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

Ponaire,

It's doesn't matter where one can fly as long as gorilla tracking is concerned. One can fry inn/out from Kigali and do gorilla trek in Bwindi which is 1 hour - 2 hours difference in drive ie Kinigi and Ruhija /Rushaga sectors in Bwindi respectively.

We've seen many people tracking gorillas in Bwindi national park from Kigali or Volcanoes national park from Entebbe, but of course Entebbe is a long drive.

Note: Make sure to confirm your gorilla tracking tickets in advance in both Uganda & Rwanda as it's most that determines the tour.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uganda or Rwanda for gorilla tours?

But in addition to extra drive time you also would have to get a ugandan visa as well as a rwandan one plus go through customs control which took us one hour at the border alone. Maybe if someone wants to do two treks in two countries but with only a few days i would keep it simple.