We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Promotional prices will apply within the months of November 2012, April 2013 and May 2013:

1. US $350 for Foreign Non Residents

2. US $ 300 for foreign Residents and

3. 150,000 Ugandan shillings for East African Citizens.

So come and try to penetrate the impenetrable!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

I wonder how many Tourists can make arrangements to visit Uganda in November at such short notice? Tempting offer.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

More details on Terms and conditions for promotional gorilla permits refer to this link

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293840-i9254-k5…

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

I thought that this was very confidential to tour operators in a bid to help tour operators in Uganda augment their sales in low seasons months when they cannot get so many tourists. I am surprised to see that tour operators have the fortitude to discuss this on public fora .

Edited: 25 October 2012, 23:05
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Not so AASAF.

It is written large on UWA's site and even a press release.

<<Dr. Seguya says in a statement that the promotion is aimed at giving back to UWA’s esteemed customers during this celebration period. The promotion which is open to all tour operators and partners will be guided by the following guidelines. The promotional period will run for the months of November 2012, March 2013 and May 2013.This applies to unsold permits for this period and does not include prepayments before announcement of this promotion.>>

I wish I had the time to squeeze in a visit.

I would like to meet my cousins one more time.

Maybe UWA will repeat it again?

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

I agree with Mfuwe,

UWA is advertising this on its home page.

Initially, it was supposed to be an offer to Tour operators and UWA started it all.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Ugandan tour operators are not protected by U W A any one can access that offer him/her self. Rwandan tour operators are more protected because for them they even get commissions on gorilla permits.

Kampala, Uganda
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

I think it is high time Uganda Tour operators advocated for commissions on Gorilla Tracking Permits.

Edited: 22 November 2012, 16:30
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Welcome to the Uganda forum Avian Safaris.

The problem with your suggestion is that it has two reverse effects.

1. If the Commission is part of the $500 then UWA and the Gorillas get a lower amount than they would.

2. If the Commission is in addition to the $500 then the price to the user rises and may put folks off coming to see them.

Surely a Tour Operator gets commission from selling the Lodge accommodation? And they work to a margin on all things they sell to tourists. Is that not enough?

Avian Safaris. Interesting name.

Kampala, Uganda
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

Mfuwe, thanks for the warm welcome!

I really did not spend time thinking about the repercussions. I just thought of what the tour operator would wish for, i hope i did not over-think!

To stand by my idea, i do not think there is anything wrong with extra commission. After all that would not be cheating but motivating.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gorilla visit experience at a subsidised price $350! New

I take your point but would worry about the 'practice'. There are already rumours of one operator getting preference over others. Just imagine the opportunities if "a nice present for me" was added to the equation.

Let's keep it simple and as fraud proof as possible.

Commissions and a good living can be made in other ways so why change it?

Good T/Os regard the obtaining of Permits as part of selling the overall package.