We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sipi Falls

New Zealand
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sipi Falls

Hello ,would like some advice on whether 3 days would be long enough to visit Sipi Falls. I have 4 nights at the end of my 12 day tour of Uganda before flying to Kenya. I could stay in Entebee and visit places of interest around Kampala ,Entebee and Jinja or I could take the public transport to Sipi Falls, spending two nights and one day hiking up to the falls. Will be rainy season, is this still do-able

What I need to know is that I could definately travel back to Entebee from Sipi Falls in one day without a hitch ,to be able to make the plane next morning.

Thanks

BIC Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,535 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sipi Falls

Do a search. One poster recently did this trip. Come in Calinurse.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sipi Falls

Sure 3 days are enough. the first day is for the travel to Sipi. can as well on this day visit Jinja unless you are using Public transport. Day 2 is for hiking to the falls and day 3 travel back to Entebbe.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sipi Falls

Thanks for reply.

Reason for question is because guide book states shared taxi's from Sipi to Mbale commence from Kapchorwa and are usually full on arrival at Sipi.Maybe a long wait. for a shared taxi with a spare seat.

Not sure how often less accident prone buses leave from Mbale to Kampala.

Wondering if the connection could be an issue ,in not being able to make the journey from Sipi to Entebbe in one day, as flight next morning.

Thankyou

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sipi Falls

I have taken the bus from Mbale to Kampala many times with no problems so that leg on public transport should be no issue.

Go to the taxi park early in the morning or it will take forever to fill

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sipi Falls

I don't know much about Sipi but Elgon Flyer is a reliable bus service that has upto 4 (or more?) buses a day to and from Kampala. The earliest leaves Kampala at 7:00am and the earliest from Mbale to Kampala leaves at 5.30am.

Their service is good and whereas there are other buses such as Gaaga as well as matatus running the same route, I feel safer with Elgon, plus the conductors never crowd their buses in attempt to make extra cash. I've only ever had one poor incident with them all the years I've used Elgon Flyer, but a bit of car trouble can happen anywhere and we were on the road again soon after.

They've got a website you can pull from their tel. number and address, just google them.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 07:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sipi Falls

If you just get a boda-boda from anywhere in Mbale and ask him to drop you at the Elgon Flyer offices it would be easy as they all know where the offices are.

Elgon flyer also has a sort of lounge where you can sit and wait for your bus. It's good to get there a little early so that you can book the bus seat you want.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sipi Falls

I dropped some students to the Posta Bus to get to Mbale. That's the safest bus service in the country.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sipi Falls

Travelergirl19, Cat Y and Shelly, thaks so much for your helpful information.

I have read about the postbus and knew that it left Kampala early but have not read about the Elgon Flyer as a alternative or for the return journey

Sorrry about delay in replying but have been away from computer for a few days.

Cheers

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sipi Falls

Well IMHO anything with the title "Flyer" should be a giveaway as best avoided. The Posta Bus service is not competing with other companies (aka, read - "driving like a maniac") because it is delivering post, and just happens to take people as well. And that road itself is pretty vile... one of the most dangerous in the country.

Just my few cents worth...

Appreciate the reply, many don't!

Edited: 11 February 2013, 15:34
Wales
Level Contributor
708 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sipi Falls

There used to be an early morning Gateway bus from Kapchorwa to Kampala and I guess its still running that used to sound its horn as it was hurtling through Sipi Falls at around 5 in the morning. I caught it one time.