We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Africa

Saddle River, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
First Visit to Africa

My son will be Engeye Uganda teaching next year. We would like to Visit him in December and stay with him for a few days and then take him with us on a safari for 4-5 days.We would then like to go to one more destination for a few days.I have been told that the best place for a safari in December is Tanzania is that correct ? We are open to suggestions for the place to go after the safari . Is cape town unrealistic ?.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Africa

It depends on your intrest.. If you real want to see wildlife tanzania is the good place to be. But if you want to see nature,primates,wildlife,good people,birds e.tc Uganda would be the place to be...

Saddle River, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Africa

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Africa

If you are already in Uganda then safari in Uganda. To go to another country will take time and money and don't forget your son will have to come back to Uganda after the Safari.

"4 or 5 days" is not really long enough to see all that Uganda has to offer let alone go wandering off around East Africa.

Murchison Falls NP combined with QENP would fill your heart with wildlife from elephants to giraffe and Crocodiles.

Or why not go for the real treat and visit Mountain Gorillas in Bwindi? Combine that with two days in QENP and get the most of what Uganda can offer.

If anybody in the party is a birder that will be even better plan.

Capetown is totally unrealistic unless you are flying out of RSA to USA..

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Africa

Hi Richard.

If my map is right, Engeye is not far from Bwindi and QE (about 4 hours to Buhoma) for our 5 dauy safari.

You dont say how long you have for the other destination. If you definitely want it to be in another country, it is easy to fly from Kampala to Nairobi, and travel in Kenya, which has many safari opportunities. Agree Cape Town is too far and too expensive to get to.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Africa

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum

The answer to your ultimate question hinges on economics and time. Anything's possible here - and in some ways EBB can be a very good hub for all sorts of destinations not normally considered - Zanzibar, Seychelles, Oman, Goa, Joberg. Istanbul, Cairo - the list is endless.

EBB to Joberg is about 4h45 flight. You'd have about 1.5 hrs between flight to CT. And there are daily flights on SAA; others exist, including Rwandair. Ultimately, the decision boils down to how badly you want to visit CT, is this a once in a lifetime, would you go there anyway in future, are you fixing it together in your mind because your son will be on the continent etc...?

How long would you plan to go to CT area?

I agree that Murchison is probably your best bet with the timescale, especially as a wonderful introduction to a great wealth of wildlife; with a range of good lodge choices, and the River as a huge bonus. You also add in the Rhino Sanctuary en route; and get to see something very special and important in terms of conservation and recovery.

Come back to us with further thoughts whenever ready!

Edited: 02 March 2013, 11:22
Kampala
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Africa

Uganda is considered one of the safest and friendliest countries in the world.

It is the only place in the world where you can observe lions prowling the open plains in the morning, track chimpanzees that very day and stare into the eyes of the mountain Gorilla the following day. Just to emphasize what Shelly said, it's a hub for many destinations.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Africa

Uganda is a hub of many destinations!!!!! I love this..

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Africa

But sighting lions is by no means assured. Not to take away from Uganda,which I also love, but if RIchard wants to do a "classic" safari where he will will DEFINTELY site lions, Uganda is not the place to be sure of it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Africa

No place can guarantee Lions. I have been in Tanzanian Parks for 8 whole days without a sighting. Cats can be real sneaky critturs. 4 or 5 days is pushing it. Probably, yes, definite? No!

A Zoo is the only definite and then the beggars will be asleep and out of sight!

If you do Lions which I have to admit can be extremely boring after about 5 Minutes. 22 hours per day sleeping, an hour feeding and the rest is just $ex, $ex, $Sex!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to Africa

yeah to be honest, can't say I've seen a lot of prowling! Lying down, sitting, and very slow moving. Oh, and yawning!

Interested to hear Richard's feedback :-)