We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla trekking in October?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gorilla trekking in October?

Thinking of gorilla trekking in either Uganda or Rwanda. Have some questions about the treks:-

What's the difference between gorilla treks in Uganda and Rwanda? I've read Rwanda is better, would those who have been to both countries agree?

How strenous are the treks, I don't mind walking, but not on uneven ground and uphill walks. Is there a way to avoid uneven ground/uphill walks on gorilla treks?

I am looking at travel in October which I understand isn't the best time to travel to to region, is it unwise to take a gorilla trek in October?

Thanks in advance.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

The the drive from kigali to ruhengeri is only 90 km which is about 2hours and The drive from kamplala to bwindi is 10-11 hours ,you can avoid this long drive by flying with the every day departure flights from kamplala and it is only 1hours flights but the trekking timing is almost the same and both sides you will harbor walk in mountains... In Uganda we have over 12 groups and in Rwanda we only have 4 groups..

Entebbe
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

The major advantage Rwanda has over Uganda is the distance from the Airport. However Uganda has more Gorilla groups and the permits in Uganda ($500) are cheaper than those in Rwanda ($700). Besides on the long trip to the National Park, you get to enjoy a lot of beautiful scenery.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

The trek time will depend on the location of the gorillas.

Of course Rwanda is much easier to trek as compared to Uganda but Uganda is much cheaper.

Rwanda gorilla permits cost 750USD

Uganda Gorilla permits cost 500USD at the moment are after June, the price might go up.

Kampala
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

As for the uneven ground and uphill walks,???? those are part of the whole trekking adventure.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

Most questions have been answered except the last one which I am here to verify;

Every time of the year is good time to track gorillas or visit both of the countries.(Uganda and Rwanda).

Also as a point of correction , much as Uganda has more habituated Gorilla tracking families, they are not over 12. They are actually 8 of them , 3 in Buhoma( i.e Mubare, Habinyanja and Rushegura) , 2 in Ruhija( i.e Oruzogu and Bitukura) 1 in Nshongi which is southern Bwindi and 2 in Nkuringo(i.e Nkuringo and Kahungye). Much as there are more that are being habituated like Busingye, given the fact that they are unstable, they have not been opened to Public, whereas Nyakigezi of Mgahinga national park which I consider the 9th family is also unstable for it usually crosses to Congo impulsively.

Also to add on how different the trek in Uganda and Rwanda is ; since Volcanoes National park lies on a plateau and Bwindi National park is on a steep slope, gorilla trekking is more strenuous in Bwindi than in Volcanoes Np. However , though it is more strenuous, it is part of the adventure .

About the distance between Bwindi and Kampala , you can shorten the distance by adding to your itinerary visits to national parks that are near Kampala like lake Mburo Np, queen Elizabeth Np or even visiting areas like Kabale that is if you have some more days to spend in Uganda. An itinerary of visiting all Uganda tourism highlights on one trip is a worth while!

Edited: 20 May 2013, 15:42
Kabale, Uganda
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

It would be nice to trekk from Ruhija which is near, where you could trekk even when you have stayed in Kabale,the Distance from Kampala is long,in a bus you could take 9 hours to get in some places in Kabale Town where you could sleep but it would be nice to come a 1-2 days before you do gorilla trekking!,the Rwanda side is abit expensive in that Rwanda would cost you 750USD while in Uganda would cost you 500

7. Re: Gorilla trekking in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 06:20