We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explanation of gorilla treks

Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Explanation of gorilla treks

I have read many of the postings about gorilla treks in Uganda and I keep seeing references to being put in an R group or some other letter code.

What do these letters stand for?

Who choses what group you go into?

Much appreciated.

Carole

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

Hi Carole,

I don't know if this (below) is completely accurate, but it will give you an idea of the gorilla groups in Uganda as of May 2013. The "R" group is the Rushegura Group. You can choose the group you would like to track based on availability of permits and where you want to stay. Generally, people secure a gorilla permit first and then firm up their lodging. (I haven't been yet, but this is what I've learned. I got the information below through a web search - seems good because it gives you an idea of where you could stay for each group.)

Mubare Group - Buhoma/Gorilla Forest Camp side:

(5 members)

One Silverback, one black-back, one adult female and two juveniles.

Rushegura Group—Buhoma/Gorilla Forest Camp side:

(21 members)

One Silverback, one black-back, five adult females, two sub-adults, six juveniles and six Infants.

Habinyanja Group - Buhoma/Gorilla Forest Camp side:

(17 members)

One Silverback, five adult females, three sub-adults, two juveniles & six infants.

Bitukura Group - Buhoma/Gorilla Forest Camp side:

(13 members)

One Silverback, three sub-silverbacks, two black-backs, three adult females, one juveniles and three infants.

Oruzogo Group—Buhoma/Gorilla Forest Camp side:

(23 members)

One Silverback, one sub-silverback, five black-backs, seven adult females, four juveniles and five infants.

Nkuringo Group - Kisoro/Clouds side:

(17 members)

One dominant silverback, three sub-silverbacks, three black-backs, three adult females, three juveniles and four infants.

Nshongi Group - Kisoro/Clouds side:

(21 members)

One Silverback, two sub-silverback, three black-backs, six adult females, six juveniles and three infants.

Mishaya Group - Kisoro/Clouds side:

(7 members)

One Silverback, two adult females, one sub-adult and three infants.

Kahungye Group - Kisoro/Clouds side:

(24 members)

One silverback, two sub-silverbacks, three black-backs, four adult females, three sub-adults, seven juvineles and four infants.

Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

Thanks! Very helpful.

Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

I would also be interested in hearing about the differences in Bahoma vs. Kisoro in terms of difficulty of the trek for each.

Thanks.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

No much difference because it is the same mountains....I would recommend R group that's if your not late to book it...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,643 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

The straight answer is the initial letter, R or H or whatever is simply shorthand for the full name of the group. Imagine having to write out Rushegura many times a day or even mention it on the telephone.

Difficulty of the trek or difficulty of access to the trail head? Not sure what you mean. the treks can be easy , or downright difficult, even for the same group as they move around a lot.

Basically Buhoma s the HQ from where many groups are accessed but there are two other centres.

Ruhija about 30km from Buhoma over a bad road and the Nkuringo area (what Sea-lon calls "Kisoro/Clouds" side)

Your accommodation is booked once you know which group you have permits for. You cannot trek Nkuringo area from Buhoma and even Ruhija is a long drive. Best to stay local.

Arizona
Level Contributor
78 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

Thanks! This is very helpful.

C.

7. Re: Explanation of gorilla treks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17