We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap cell/Internet options

8 posts
Save Topic
Cheap cell/Internet options

Hi I will be volunteering in Uganda for six months and was wondering what's the best way to stayin contact back home.

If anyone could give me good affordable Internet and cell phone options I would appreciate it. I am doing anime stay with a local family and they won't have Internet.

Level Contributor
2,097 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap cell/Internet options

You can visit any MTN shops in Kampala or Orange outlets as they have the fastest internet in Uganda with a wide coverage. They will advise you on the type of mobile phone to buy basing on the net work provider you choose to use.

Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap cell/Internet options

Indeed - go down to Forest Mall in Lugogo when you get here - the Service Counters for MTN and Orange are located there and quieter. There is an Orange shop in Garden City, but avoid the MTN one - it is a franchise and the staff are less than honest. I have never used a dongle, but you do read people's frustrations with any one of the services available. Be prepared for slow speeds compared to what you are used to!

There are also quite a lot of places offering free wifi when you are in town - which is handy. I use 2G on my phone when out and about, loads in 1MB bundles, doesn't take very long to eat through it though.

You can buy airtime (credit) pretty well anywhere you go, sometimes in the most curious of places!

3. Re: Cheap cell/Internet options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17