We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money

8 posts
Save Topic
Spending money

I will be volunteering in Uganda for six months I am doing home stay so two meals a day will be covered. I will be staying in Iganga and was wondering how much I should budget USD a month for spending money to include one meal a day and general spending. This does not include my budget for trips I plan to take while there.

Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money

Hello Patty

Not that much, but it depends on whether you have to factor in transport costs or not. But typically, you can go a couple of km for approx 2000 /- so next to nothing really. That's on a boda (motorbike taxi). (Bring a decent helmet with you.)

I'd wager you'll spend more on the mobile and transport than you will on food. But of course if depends on what you can buy in Iganga - how much comfort food there is. It's been a while since I drove through that way, so I can't remember what supermarkets there are, but I guess you can get chocolate, crisps and biscuits easily. You will need treats!

Level Contributor
2,098 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money

If 2 meals are covered plus Accommodation, expect to spend 150$ roughly in a month.

3. Re: Spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19