We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveler

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Topic
First time traveler

Hi there,

I am heading to Kampala for about 3 weeks for school work. It will be my first time heading to Uganda. I have been reading the forms the last few days and there are a lot of different views on what to do/not to about traveling there. I am traveling alone and as a female. Any advice about traveling to and being in Kampala would be great. Also any advice as to where to stay thats in Kampala that is mid-range. As im staying for few weeks im not really looking to pay 200USD a night. Thanks for your time and advice

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time traveler

Surely the school where you are going to work will have arranged reasonable and safe accommodation for you. If they have not, don't go!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time traveler

which school is that ???

kampala
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time traveler

it would be good if u knew which city or town,or village where the school is then after it would be easy for you to look for a mid range accommodation that suits your budget.

there so many hotels around and knowing the town where the school is will help you manage your transportation expenses

Manchester, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time traveler

I went to Uganda when I was 18 by myself as a female and I felt safe in Kampala/Entebbe, you just have to be smart: Don't get drunk ever, make sure you are home before dark or just take a boda home, etc. If you are staying for 3 weeks, I would highly recommend staying with a host family. My host family was amazing and it was the best part of my trip. You may be able to stay with one of the teachers at the school. If you can ask ahead of time, go ahead. If not, it's perfectly fine to ask when you get there. One of the teachers may have a friend you can stay with too. The teachers/host parents can also give you the current prices of items so you won't get ripped off too badly in the markets.

As far as getting to and from Kampala, you'll have to take a taxi out of the airport but you can have them drop you off at the nearest place to catch a matatu (buses that look like cable vans that are packed with people). The ones in Entebbe are more regulated so there will probably only be 9 people or so. Getting around in Kampala is pretty easy, just hop on a boda (motorcycle taxis) and tell them where you want to go. If they don't know where it is they usually ask their buddies. If you aren't going very far, it shouldn't be more than $2-5. Try to agree on a price ahead of time.

Your local library (especially if its a university library) will probably have the Lonely Planet guide for East Africa. I'd recommend photocopying a couple pages with hostels/hotels info on it before you go just to keep handy.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your trip!

P.S. Some tips on working at the school-- Bring some culturally appropriate kids books with you if you can. I also brought 2 pails of colored sidewalk chalk and all the teachers really liked it cause they usually have to use crappy little white ones all the time. Also, if you bring a camera, try to stop by an internet cafe with a printer and print off some of the pictures of the kids with their friends and give them to them. The kids don't get to have many pictures of themselves, especially if the school you are working at has a large population of orphans.

kampala
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time traveler

Staying with a host family would be the ideal thing in your circumstances if you can't find accommodation that is being offered by the school or a member of staff. volunteering in the community while staying in a hotel is quite absurd. You would be losing out on the cultural immersion aspect of your stay in Uganda. Contact ughomestay@yahoo.com as they coordinate a network of families offering home stay in various neighborhoods around Kampala and hopefully your school is close to one of them.

6. Re: First time traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:19