We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gorilla trekking

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gorilla trekking

Has anyone heard of a company called AA Adventures Ltd based in Uganda? I am going to Rwanda to visit a little girl I sponsor then wanted to go and see the gorillas. I have had 3 quotes, all similar prices (which is expensive as a single traveller!), one from a company in Rwanda called Bizidanny tours, which somebody recommended, an English company called Rainbow Tours & AA Adventures. Part of me thinks it would be better to go with locals as the English company will have little control on what guides they use but worried I won't be covered by the others if anything goes wrong. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

SuzeyQ_20

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gorilla trekking

I know AA Adventures based in Uganda and they have a sales offices in Rwanda.. Fully registered with the ministry of tourism in Uganda and the association of Uganda tour operators and they have enough experience in the industry..

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gorilla trekking

Bizzidanny gets good reports on here.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gorilla trekking

Suzey, hello - are you trekking in Rwanda or Uganda? My daughter went from the Rwandan side - didn't use a tour guide, just rocked up from Kigali and back in a day. Allocated a group by the Park team on arrival.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gorilla trekking

I travelled with Primate Safaris in Sept 13 to go gorilla trekking. They appear to be the number one tour operator in Rwanda – I saw their jeeps everywhere!. My guide Sura was excellent – he was on time, knowledgeable, courteous and made me feel completely at ease. He dealt with all check in & registration arrangements in the hotels, parks etc. Nothing was too much trouble and I would not hesitate to recommend this company. Contact for them is www.primatesafaris.info or +250 252 503428. Hope this helps.

Larkspur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gorilla trekking

Unfortunately, we booked our two week vacation with AA Adventures...as even they admitted it was one "mistake" after another. The itinerary they handed us when we arrived differed from what we ordered and was, in fact, almost incomprehensible. Our first guide was a disaster - he showed up late, failed to brief us, failed to take us to the chimp trek we had paid for (and more)...and worst of all he lied. When we finally confronted him he said, yes, I cheated you...but please give me another chance. We have never, in thirty years of travel, mostly in developing countries, had to fire a guide...but we did this time. We understand from the replacement guide that Linda, the woman who put together the itinerary was already fired. The owner evidently is a 26 year old woman who together with her sister who lives in the UK runs the company, but has delegated too much responsibillity to others that they don't really oversee. Our "luxury" accomodations were mixed - the one we are in tonight is rated 21 out of 21 for Entebbe hotels. We had to order a fan because the AC doesn't work. As I am typing, the maintenance people have been in the room for a half hour supposedly fixing the AC. I could go on and on...but I think the bottom line is DO NOT use this company to book your travel in Uganda. Period...end of story.

california
Level Contributor
289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gorilla trekking

So sorry to hear of your misadventures. I had a similar experience in Kenya so I REALLY feel your pain. All's I can say is don't let this put you off all of Africa. Try Namibia and regroup.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,617 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gorilla trekking

Also very sorry to hear of the problems. It is unacceptable behaviour and should not be allowed to pass uncommented on.

However as wildlife painter says do not let this deter you from travelling to Africa. It is not to be missed.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gorilla trekking

Hi SuzeyQ,

I've been off tripadvisor for a while and you may have been and gone already, however, for the benefit of anyone else - we spent 5 days in Rwanda last year with Bizidanny and had a great time. We arranged everything by email, paid by international bank transfer and everything ran smoothly. Our guide was excellent, hotels in Kigali and Ruhengiri were both great. we trekked the Hirwa group which was amazing and also did the golden monkey trek the next day which was far better than we expected.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Bizidanny.

Larkspur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gorilla trekking

I want to update my review of AA Adventures- we did have problems on our trip as outlined, but it turns out the owner, Hadjiah was out of the country while we were in Uganda - a relative was helping her out while she was gone. I think we had bad timing.

I have since gotten to know Hadijah, who despite my dismal review of her company, has been helping my husband and me get money to a youngster in Bwindi that we are sponsoring for school. We have asked Hadijah to accept our money into her account and then physically transfer it to the boy's mother's account. She has done it despite the impact my negative review has had on her business. I believe in second chances and I believe in honoring the goodness of people, like Hadijah, who put the well-being of others ahead of her own self interest.

I hope you will reward her by checking out her offerings and taking a tour with her company if it makes sense.

BTW, she does have one of the best guides in Uganda - Frances - knowledgeable, reliable, and also one of the good guys.

Larkspur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gorilla trekking

I also want to add, that despite some problems on our first trip, we will book with AA Adventures when we return to visit Uganda - hopefully to see the boy we sponsor graduate in a few years.

To all of you who said don't let one trip put you off of Africa. I wholeheartedly agree - it is my favorite continent to explore. We have loved each and every country in Southern Africa and East Africa. We still have Central and West Africa to explore.