We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

We made our epic journey to Uganda in June/July, and the only drawback to 2+ weeks off of work is that I’ve been too busy the last 3 months to post a trip report. Here it is – and a big thanks to everyone in the forum for being incredibly helpful over the course of the past year as I did our trip planning!

I planned and booked pretty much everything for us. We didn’t use a tour operator to book lodging, and we didn’t use a pre-set tour operator itinerary. We did use Gorilla Tours to hire our vehicle/driver and book our chimp and gorilla permits. Our experience with Gorilla Tours started a bit stressful, but in the end it was fantastic. We booked chimp and gorilla permits through them back in July 2012 (so a year in advance). Unfortunately, when they e-mailed copies of our four scanned gorilla permits, almost all of the names were incorrect, and they issued two permits for the same person. I’m still at a loss as to how they could get so many names wrong. Initially I was very stressed out because the permits are so expensive, and I didn’t want anyone to have problems. They insisted it would be fine (and it was), but for a whole year I was very concerned. Aside from that, planning went smooth, and they were very patient with me when I had to make changes to our itinerary pre-trip.

We started our trip in Entebbe at J. Residence – really just a quick overnight post flight before we embarked on our two-week adventure. The lodging was clean and very basic – I wouldn’t have wanted to spend more than one night there though. The next morning Musa (our driver from Gorilla Tours) picked us up in a huge LandCruiser w/seating for 9 people – there were only 4 of us, so it was a very spacious two weeks! Musa was absolutely incredible – he was kind, funny, personable, he seemed to know everyone in Uganda and he went above and beyond to help us with anything we needed. If anyone books through Gorilla Tours I highly recommend requesting Musa.

First stop was 2 nights in Fort Portal at Rwenzori Guest House. Lovely lodging – our favorite actually in Uganda. Rooms were beautiful, peaceful location (but still within walking/biking distance to town), lovely hosts and amazing food (and I rarely say that about lodging food). We rented bicycles and on our own and biked out to the Amabere Caves and Waterfall. The ride out was beautiful and straightforward (we didn’t get lost) and ride took us through the city, as well as the countryside. It was a great way to see Fort Portal. We hired a guide from the visitor centre who led us on a hike to the caves, waterfall and then to the crater lakes.

The next morning we departed for Kibale. The drive to Kibale from Fort Portal is quite beautiful – the tea plantation views were epic. We scheduled our chimp trekking for that morning, so it was an early drive for us. The trekking was good and we saw the chimps, although we enjoyed the chimp trekking in QENP much more. In Kibale everyone is divided into smaller groups, but once the chimps are located in the jungle, all the groups come together, so it’s really a lot of other people you see wandering around looking at chimps. This wasn’t the case in QENP, which I will get to in a bit. Nonetheless, we did enjoy seeing the chimps in the jungle, and listening to them is like nothing I’ve experienced. Just incredible!

In Kibale, we stayed at the Primate Kibale Lodge (2 nights). We loved this place! Location was ideal, very close to the trekking start point. The little bandas where we stayed were lovely, as was the rest of the open air property. Our favorite part of the stay was the wildlife sightings. I was walking to our room one afternoon, and had to stop about 20 feet away to let a troop of 15 baboons cross through the clearing in front of our banda. And 2 stragglers decided to hop onto the windowsill of our room, and stare inside! No clue what they were looking at in our room?! We monkey watched from our balcony every day, and spotted families of baboons and dozens of monkeys.

On our next day in Kibale, we went to the Bigodi Swamp where we hired a local guide and did a nice hike around and through the swamp. Here we saw lots of monkeys too, and on the drive to the swamp we stopped the LandCruiser at one point for a large baboon family walking up the dirt road in front of us. It’s a beautiful area.

After Kibale, we departed for QENP, and did an equator stop along the way. We arrived at Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge – another great stay (3 nights). The safari tents were simple, but clean (I admit I didn’t love the sand toilets). The location though was absolutely incredible, such an amazing setting for lodging. Each day we could sit on our tent porch and watch elephants, hippos, buffalo, pigs and warthogs in the water right below. We saw more elephants from our porch than we did in our three days of safari in the park. And one afternoon we found a buffalo in front of our tent, and another evening a hippo grazing in the grass just a few feet away (the hippo didn’t seem to care that we were there – he was so passive). What a cool experience!

Having spent 5 days on safari in Kruger, in South Africa, I’ll admit that QENP was underwhelming. We didn’t see nearly the variety or number of animals, nor did we get the frequent close animal encounters that we did in Kruger. Nonetheless, safari is an amazing experience and we enjoyed what we did see – lion, elephant, hippo, buffalo, warthog, kudu, kob, crocodile, waterbuck, eagle, etc. We did a boat ride on the Kazinga Channel, and three game drives.

Our favorite part of QENP was the chimp trek in the Kyambura Gorge. We had a group of 7 people and we were the only ones in the gorge (unlike Kibale). Also, this trek was much more active than Kibale. With our guide we were literally running through the jungle, climbing over tree trunks across waterways, hopping over logs, etc. to follow the very active chimps. It was our favorite day in Uganda!

After QENP we departed for Buhoma, our base for trekking gorilla group H. We checked into the Buhoma Community Rest Camp, where we stayed two nights in a clean safari tent. The location overlooking the jungle (with monkeys scampering around our tent) was spectacular. The morning of the gorilla trek was very exciting. We actually found them after just two hours of hiking, but it was one of the trickiest hikes we have done because there was no path. We had to hike through thick jungle, over slippery footing – and the whole time safari ants were biting our ankles and crawling up our pants (this was WITH tall hiking socks, long hiking pants AND gators). We saw about 14 gorillas (including the silverback) – all just eating, sleeping and babies playing in a quiet jungle setting. The one hour did go by very fast – it was a very special 60 minutes.

After Buhoma, our next stop was Kisoro – which is a 5-6 hour drive from Buhoma. We hired a guide to hike through the Bwindi jungle from Buhoma to Nkuringo (a one hour drive from Kisoro), while Musa drove with all our things and met us in Nkuringo. Then together we drove the one hour to Kisoro. The hike was possibly the toughest we have done (and we have done a lot of hiking on our travels). Most of the hike was uphill, and it was long. Several spots were swarming with safari ants. It was also one of the most beautiful, remote hikes we have done.

Following almost a week in safari and jungle tents, our stay at the Traveler’s Rest (1 night) in Kisoro was like being at the Ritz Carlton. We slept very well in the clean, comfortable rooms. Only drawback was that the place didn’t have wifi. I know, we were on vaca, but wifi would have been nice after a week of being disconnected. Had we had more time in Uganda (I wish we had), we would have stayed a couple extra nights in Kisoro to hike a volcano and go golden monkey trekking.

From Kisoro, we headed to Lake Mburo where we stayed a night at the Rwonyo Rest Camp. This was by far our worst lodging in Uganda. Definitely didn’t end on a high note. : ) We did a boat launch ride, which was okay – we didn’t see a whole lot of wildlife. During our dinner on the lake, warthogs were roaming very close to us as we walked to the restaurant, which was pretty cool. And we did an amazing safari on foot, which was different than the safaris in QENP. We enjoyed seeing kob, waterbuck, warthogs and lots of zebra on foot in the park.

After Kisoro, we headed back to Entebbe and flew our early the next morning!

That’s our trip in a nutshell. It was a great two weeks, a very special trip. Would highly recommend Uganda to anyone thinking of traveling to Africa. In our year leading up to the trip, when I would tell people about our plans, EVERYONE’S initial reaction was “Why would you go to Uganda?!” It such a a beautiful country, so the real question is “Why NOT Uganda?!”

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Thanks very much for the great report. You certainly saw lots of things and whilst Uganda does not compare with other countries for numbers of wildlife the friendly people and scenery certainly make up for the slight loss. Why NOT Uganda indeed!

Is there any chance you could provide a link to some of your photographs? please. It helps with the withdrawal symptoms.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Thank you for this really detailed and interesting report! we also enjoyed staying at Ruwenzori guesthouse...just one remark concerning chimp tracking:we did it only in Kibale and we were alone in the forest for about 3 hours also experiencing the same crazy pace that you describe as having had in QE park.

I guess it depends on the timing and the guide and different circumstances make for different experiences .

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Cavair, yes I'm sure it is different circumstances every day. So glad you guys got to have a thrilling chimp adventure in Kibale! Did your dinners at Ruwenzori View Guesthouse include soup each night? I only ask because each night our dinners began with 2 choices of homemade fresh soup and we all agreed it was some of the best soup we have ever tasted. 3 months later and we are still talking about the soup! Haha

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

mfuwe, I just messaged you an album link!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

I know. I have just plugged back in from looking at them. Absolutely lovely and thank you for sharing. I had many a smile at some of them as they brought back memories. That walk to Nkuringo especially.

I also liked the way you had lots of 'action' and people photos that really personalised it.

When are you going back?

geneva
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

yep, 2 different soups every night, all excellent...and we stayed for 10 days but often had a picnic dinner on our little veranda, looking at the hadeda birds going crazy before settling down for the night in the big trees around the property.Magical moments!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Lovely report and very helpful. Thanks. I enjoyed the comparisons of the chimp treks. I guess they are never the same for every visitor. I noted your review of Primate Lodge and enjoyed the Manager's responses. They are clearly working on Customer Relations ;-)

Soup, Africa seems to make the best soups. Of course, after helping a cook one time, the liberal addition of 'flavour enhancer' probably MSG does give one pause.

I will second Mfuwe's request for photos. I see you have shared with some, but I expect many of those planning trips would enjoy them as well. Never ever heard anyone provide negative commentary on pics. We all love em.

If I may ask a question or two?I'll send as a PM.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

I'm a little late getting to this, but better late than never I hope! We did our big Uganda trip last summer, and I'd sent our Uganda album to mfuwe post trip, who thought the forum might enjoy the photos too. I didn't want to post the link to our private album, but I am getting a bulk of the photos up on our blog - here is the link to the Kibale photos www.bucketlistbums.com/kibale-uganda/

Bigodi Wetlands, Fort Portal and Entebbe are up there too. Will have Queen Elizbeth, Buhoma, Bwindi, Nkuringo and Lake Mburo up in the coming weeks. I'm getting nostalgic going through the photos and posting them, Uganda was such a fun two weeks, one of my favorite travels to date. Really miss it!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,636 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Very nice momentos. Many thanks for sharing. I really envy the picture of the Grey-cheeked Mangabey as they are very hard to get close to.

Looking forward to the rest in due course.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 2 weeks June 2013

Thanks for the photos and blog details. We are firming up some lodgings and activities very similar to yours. My travel partner loves her primates. Looking forward to the rest of the details. BTW, those photos for Kibale are really lovely.