We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Phoenix, Arizona
11 posts
Save Topic
Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

If you've been on safari in Uganda, what are the top places to see on a 6 day safari? I'm in good shape, but I'm not particularly athletic.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Hello Mary. Welcome to Uganda forum. I won't answer your question just yet. Let us see what others think.

Phoenix, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

I can take as long as 8-10 days. Any tour companies anyone can recommend or avoid will be most appreciated. I hope to do a sort of budget tour, definitely not a luxury one.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

8-10 days Uganda Tour (highlights)

Murchison falls park (3 nights):

-game viewing, a launch cruise (with a stop over at Ziwa Rhino sanctuary)

Kibale Forest (2 nights):

-Chimpanzee tracking

Bwindi forest (2 nights):

-Gorilla trekking

Lake Mburo park (1 night):

-game viewing, a boat cruise along kazinga channel

Return to Kampala

You may choose to visit Queen Elizabeth park between Kibale forest and Bwindi forest, and drop Lake mburo park at the end

Edited: 26 November 2013, 07:31
Kampala
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Just a correction.

If you choose to visit Lake mburo park,

A boat trip will be at Lake mburo not Kazinga

and

If you choose to visit Queen elizabeth park,

A boat trip will be along Kazinga channel

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Why are you wanting to come to Uganda, and have you been on safari before? This might help us focus on your interests rather than a generic or rushed trip.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

I can answer that. Mary is visiting her son in Kampala and would like to Safari while there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

What I was trying to sus out was, big game, gorilla, birds, culture? Does she need to rush into Murchison or stick to the Southern parks. If safaried elsewhere in East Africa, I would question the need to rush up to Murchison. But if game is important, than add it in and remove something else. I know I haven't been to Uganda yet, but I have spent months planning. And I know East Africa roads eat up a lot of time.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Well not many varied suggestions in almost 24 hours.

So here is my input FWIW.

I would go up to Murchison for 3 nights, maybe a night on the way up at ZIWA but certainly call there to see the Rhinos.

From Murchison drop back down to QENP for three nights. There are your seven nights gone.

Now make a decision about whether you wish to visit Gorillas. If you can spare the extra days and are up for the wonderful experience of this the do it. It does involve some walking of course but you are in good shape. Many older people do this easily. If you do this then it will take three more days.

1 to travel down from QENP, 1 for the visit and 1 to drive back to Kampala making 10 nights in all.

If you pass up on the Gorillas you can return from QENP in 5 hours to Kampala on the 8th day. There is one long days drive from Murchison down to QENP but that cannot be avoided due to your time constraints.

Maybe after looking at this you would confirm your main interests and we could adjust the trip to suit?

On this trip you will see most types of Safari animals, Lion, Elephant, Giraffe, Rhino and Hippo etc., plus many antelopes. If you like Monkeys then you could stop off at Kibale forest where they have many species.

Or if Zebra and Impala are important call at Lake Mburo NP.

Phoenix, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

If you had to choose between Murchison Falls and Gorilla tracking, which would you do? For me, money is a bigger constraint than time. I need to keep the cost down to $1,600.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top places (parks) to see if on a 6 day safari

Well the cheapest off season Gorilla Permit is $350 so that will blow your budget anyway.

For that Budget I would confine myself to the first 7 days and even then it will be a pinch.