We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

This is so exciting. I've been planning this trip awhile but set it aside for months at a time. It will be just my husband and myself.

This is what I finally came up with for an itinerary. What do you think? Anything missing? Any other suggestions? I won't say which TO I'm going with just yet but I've chosen one. Would like to stay longer in Uganda, but this is the time that we have. Was planning to spend 2 nights at Lake Mburo but that had to go, etc. Going in May.

Day 0: Fly into EBB.

Day 1: Arrive EBB, spend the night at Alison & Dave's Guesthouse.

Day 2: All-day visit to Uganda Wildlife Education Center (UWEC) with a chimp visit. Overnight at UWEC.

Day 3: Our first day with our guide. Drive to Lake Mburo. Night drive. Overnight Rwakobo Rock.

Day 4: Morning bicycle ride. Drive to South Bwindi. Overnight Nkuringo Gorilla Camp (if they have an ensuite cottage available, if not, maybe Nkuringo Gorilla Camp)

Day 5: 1st gorilla trek. Overnight Nkuringo Gorilla Camp or Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. (Don't know the gorilla group yet - any suggestions? It's just me - my husband does not want to see the gorillas)

Day 6: Hike from Nkuringo to Buhoma. Overnight Buhoma Community Rest Camp.

Day 7: Visit Batwa. Overnight Buhoma Community Rest Camp.

Day 8: 2nd gorilla trek. Any suggestions for a group? Overnight Buhoma Community Rest Camp.

Day 9: Drive to Queen Elizabeth National Park. Evening Kazinga Channel boat trip. Overnight Buffalo Safari Lodge or Bush Lodge (tent).

Day 10: AM chimp trek. Afternoon game drive. Overnight Buffalo Safari Lodge or Bush Lodge (tent).

Day 11: Drive to Kibale, lunch in Fort Portal on the way. Overnight Kibale Forest Camp (I wanted to stay at Chimpanzee Forest Guesthouse for 2 nights but they don't have availability the first night - should I spend one night at Kibale Forest and one in Chimpanzee Forest or just stay 2 in Kibale Forest?)

Day 12: All day chimp habituation (for me only, husband does not want to do this). Overnight Chimpanzee or Kibale Forest.

Day 13: Drive to Murchison Falls. Game drive on way to accommodation. Overnight Pakuba Safari Lodge.

Day 14: Morning game drive, lunch, then one-way boat trip to falls, hike to top of falls to meet driver at the top. Overnight Pakbua Safari Lodge.

Day 15: Drive to Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary. Visit Boomu Women's Group for shopping and have lunch at Masindi hotel (I'm a huge Humphrey Bogart fan) on the way to Ziwa. Overnight Ziwa.

Day 16: Morning rhino trek and birding outing. Drive to EBB and probably fly out late that night - haven't purchased tickets yet -- I'm a bit nervous about any travel the day that we're flying out. I usually like to have a buffer of time before an international flight like this in case we are delayed. Your thoughts?

At some point, I'd like to take the Mamba Swamp tour -- will be able to figure out when we buy our flight tickets.

Thanks to everyone for helping me put this together.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,536 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Well it will work but not ideal.

Can you clarify Nkuringo Gorilla Camp of Nkuringo Gorilla Camp? You may have mixed things in your excitement. You need to be at "Robert's Place".

Fitting in Mabamba Swamp would best be done on the way to Lake Mburo from Entebbe. But overnighting the previous night on Ngamba will delay your start.

If only one night in Lake Mburo NP I would skip this altogether as not worth it. You need to look again at days 1-4. What are you doing on Day 1?

Suggest Kazinga cruise on Day 10 after Chimp trek not on day of arrival.

In Kibale stay at the same place for two nights. don't swap a night here and there.

The rest works Ok but Day 13 is a looong day..

If your flight is late on Day 16 this will be no problem to drive in from Ziwa!

Now get your plane Tix to set the dates in stone and work around them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Hi mfuwe, thanks for chiming in.

>>Can you clarify Nkuringo Gorilla Camp of Nkuringo Gorilla Camp? You may have mixed things in your excitement. You need to be at "Robert's Place".

Oops... Ha! Meant Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. No "or" there. (My "multi-tasking" doesn't always work so well.)

>>But overnighting the previous night on Ngamba will delay your start.

Not going to Ngamba, staying at UWEC. (The zoo, in other words). They have behind-the-scenes tours and you can visit with chimps. Can also spend the night there.

>>If only one night in Lake Mburo NP I would skip this altogether as not worth it. You need to look again at days 1-4. What are you doing on Day 1?

I also thought of leaving out Lake Mburo, but that would take away our chances of being near zebras, so I thought one night might make that worthwhile. On Day 1, basically, we will probably be arriving quite late at night so will be picked up by Alison & Dave's Guesthouse and straight to bed. The following day, we'll make our own own way to UWEC. That's why the TO won't show up until Day 3 when they pick us up at UWEC.

>>Suggest Kazinga cruise on Day 10 after Chimp trek not on day of arrival.

Thanks, will make that change.

>>The rest works Ok but Day 13 is a looong day..

How would you suggest I make it not so long? Is it unusual to drive from Kibale to Murchison in one day?

Thanks again.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,536 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Thanks for clarifying re Nkuringo Camp as there is also a Nkuringo Gorilla Lodge down on Lake Mutende.

I never knew you could visit Chimps in UWEC or sleep there. Well I never! That must be fun.

OK that means you can be on the road bright and early on Day 3, visit Mambamba and on to Lake Mburo by Midday. That would work and yes, this is where you will find Zebra, Topi and Impala and walk among them or cycle if you wish.

Not unusual to drive from Kibale to Murchison in a day or vice versa, but it is a tiring day. It took us 8 hours or so earlier this year. So don't miss the last Ferry.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Thanks so much. This is really coming together. Can't wait!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

I'll reply to this tomorrow, as it's very late here. The planning is very exciting sea-lon!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Do you already have a company or guide?

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Post 6.

Sea-lon-sf has chosen a Tour operator already and prefers not to mention it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Hi Shelly --- bumping this up again in case you want to reply.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

Hello I do. But was travelling, sorry.

I wouldn't chop out Mburo, because it'll break the journey, and gives you a nice opportunity to go to a small park, in very beautiful surroundings. They have long-tailed nightjars at Rwakobo Rock, and the views are stunning. I am really keen to go back and see how the dining/lounge banda is looking - we were there when it was under construction. Mihingo staff are reporting leopards calling to one another at the moment, so you may well be lucky with your night drive, and there are quite a lot of hyenas around too!

QE Chimp trek - not sure about this. Mf? If I recall, folks on here have preferred the Kibale trip, you are obviously keen to see primates and I wouldn't want to deter you, but, not sure people have reported favourably. Happy to be set right though!

I don't know about those Kibale accommodations, but if you are happy with the first one, then I'd say spend 2 nights there, so at least you feel like you are stopping and familiar rather than bed-hopping. What I do urge is to get a table booking for dinner at Ndali Lodge with Aubrey, if you can (email him direct). You will not regret it. Try and get there early enough to enjoy drinks on the terrace and the sunset.. it's a pretty special place.

Don't expect much in the way of lunch in Masindi, but yes I know what you mean about the nostalgia.

Day 16. Well you need 1.5 hrs to Luwero, and then need to allow 2.5 to Kampala because of this very long road reconstruction, that is causing a major hassle (although there are plenty of cross-country avoidance routes that can be taken). Then you need to allow 1.5 hrs from Kampala, and guessing you will have a pit-stop somewhere (like Banana Boat, for all those lovely, last-minute high-quality gifts).. you can work out how much time to allow. It is do-able.

HTH

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,536 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary again -- I'm ready to make the deposit / bookings!

My party enjoyed the chimps at Kyambura and Sea lon's main priority seems to be them so why not? I have not heard of anyone overdosing on them. (Except me!).

Not sure why a dinner at N'dali would fit n here. That will mean a dark drive back to Kanyanchu. Fun though it may be to dine Chez Price I would give it a miss if not staying there..if indeed they permit non residents.