We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

I would like to do the overnight forest walk on Ngamba Island and the chimp habituation in Kibale - I am trying to decide if I should do the chimp sanctuary at the start or end of my trip - is it better to see the chimps in the wild before or after the sanctuary? Thanks, Joanne

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

I think Ponaire did it; scroll through the trip reports. I might have been making that up though.

A very good question DJCat!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

durr, why didn't I think to search first?

Well she didn't go, but the OP may have - worth a PM I think!!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293840-i9254-k5…

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

CHEX in Kibale forest should be done first, then chimpanzee integration at Ngamba island last.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,841 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

thanks for that link shelly. Ponaire's outburst really put a spring in my step this dank December day..

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

haha, had to go and re-read it, yes indeed. I miss Ponaire, we should bring her for a hello I think!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

Did 10 Day trip with Tamani Africa Tours in 2011, We started with Ngamba on day 2 of our arrival then, did other parks in the middle went to Kibale on the 7th day, to us it was interesting, well our contact person was richard@tamaniafricatours.com, probably he could have some better idea.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

I didn't do Kibale but I did chimp tracking in Kyambura Gorge (we were very lucky and saw a lot of chimps, including one close up ignoring us as he ate on a branch right above our heads) and then did the forest walk and caregiver-for-a-day on Ngamba. It is my opinion that seeing them in the wild and interacting with them at Ngamba are so different, that it doesn't really matter what you do first. Observing any animal in the wild is special in my mind. And Ngamba is special because it is heartwarming that there is safe place for rescued chimpanzees to go. It was fun being a part of that by preparing food, feeding, and cleaning. And holding hands with a chimp and carrying them on your back was just icing on the cake. Although spending time with the chimps was my reason for going to Ngamba, I also really enjoyed my interactions with the caregivers. They obviously care a lot about the chimps and know each of the chimps' histories and personalities...they know the story behind every scar and the chimpanzee politics on island. There was also hilarious conversations and performances around the campfire at night. I don't think you can go wrong with any order. Have a great trip!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

Thanks everyone. I think I will do it first to avoid a lot of travelling on my first days (and to give my luggage time to catch up to me should it go wandering).

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

:-)

I think it's a good idea too, to avoid so much travelling straight away.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 15:48
Delaware
Level Contributor
447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those that have done Kibale and Ngamba, which to do 1st?

If you possibly tend to get run down on a trip of a couple weeks (but actually I don't know how long your trip is) it makes sense to do the island first as you need to be in tip-top health to have access to the chimps there. Giving a chimp a piggy-back (chimpy-back?) ride was incredible! I hope you have a wonderful time there.

The chimp habituation at Kibale was also amazing. Like MakanaKoa said, they're very different experiences. Also agree that spending time with the staff on Ngamba was a great part of our time there.