We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our recent trip part two

Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Our recent trip part two

After another slightly noisy night (a party at another close lodge mainly) we set off to travel via Ntungamo to Kabale where we had a less than inspiring lunch and on via the very poor road to Nkuringo Gorilla Camp which we got to in time to relax with a very cold beer and take in the stunning views of Bwindi Forest on one side of the ridge and the Virunga Mountains and the Congo on the other. We had a lovely dinner before we retired for bed early as we knew the next day would be very tiring.

We got up for an early breakfast and I was very nervous about the day and was unable to eat anything not even a banana, we travelled about 1 hour and 15 mins to the start of our trek which was to be the Nshonghi Group. After a briefing from the UWA guide David who was going to lead our trek we set off, Leita and I took a porter each to carry our gear and this was a really good decision. It took us a 2 and a half hour hike up the mountain about 8 kms to get to the ridge on which the group were located and I really paid the price for not being able to eat anything and I was probably about 400 metres from the point where I would have to give up, I then spotted the silverback about 200 metres away in the valley and this was the lift I needed.

We took about another 10 minutes to get close to the group and spent a wonderful hour watching them eat and generally enjoy themselves, sadly they were not in a great position for photographing them but no matter how many times I will look at those we took in the future my memory of the silverback watching me will be my abiding memory. It was a much easier descent down the mountain fuelled mainly by adrenalin from this visit.

Our guides and porters were great and their encouragement along with the other tourists in our group helped me to achieve the greatest moment I have had in all of my travels.

We arrived back at Nkuringo to a lovely bowl of soup followed by the most needed shower I have probably ever had.

We went down for dinner early and met Robert the owner of the lodge and had a couple of hours with him discussing the gorilla trekking in particular and the tourism industry in Uganda in general, he really is an interesting guy and has some great ideas. We enjoyed our stay here more than anywhere else in Uganda and the work that they are doing in the community is one of the major reasons for this. I even got up and danced with the young entertainers from the village and if you know me that is not something I normally do.

We sadly left in the morning for our trip to Lake Bunyonyi via Kabale to carry out a little repair to the truck and stopped at the Arcadia Cottages to have a beer and take in the lovely view of the lake before heading down the hill to our next stay at Kalebas Camp on the lakeshore that I had chosen . It really is in a lovely location but this is where my compliments end, we have visited a large number of countries during our travels and I have to say this is the worst run establishment we have ever stayed in, firstly we had to ask for towels in our room and were then questioned why we wanted one each instead of the one they brought to our room. I could give a list of the things that were wrong about it here but it is not worth it. It is owned by Nature Lodges who also run the excellent Queen Elizabeth Bush Lodge where we stayed earlier and I think they need to get someone from there go down and sort out the lazy and incompetent staff here.

We did enjoy a trip in a canoe around the lake seeing a number of birds not seen before.

We departed early for the trip to Lake Mburo which was a pleasant drive having stopped for a super lunch at Mbarara at the Agip Hotel, we arrived at the Arcadia Cottages Mburo having had a game drive from the park entrance.

The cottages are very well appointed and we had a really enjoyable dinner here although we did encounter more mosquitoes here than anywhere else on our tour. We set off early and met a ranger called James and went for a really good birding walk and you have probably guessed that we heard the Papyrus Gonelek again but did not see it.

We continued our game drive in the park before leaving to go to the shores of Lake Victoria to have a 2 night stay at the Garuga Resort Beach Hotel which had been chosen to allow us to have c ouple of days poolside to recharge our batteries, sadly the weather was not ideal for this but I would have been watching the birdlife and monkeys even if the sun had been out. The food here was a bit limited but was none the less very enjoyable and our appointed member of staff James from Gulu looked after us very well.

On the last day of our trip Joseph drove us to the Mabamba Swamp hopefully for us to see the shoebill, after about 30 minutes going through this beautiful area and found the shoebill standing close to the shore in the main channel and this was another wonderful moment spending time watching one of the most amazing birds I have ever seen.

On our way back our guide heard a Papyrus Gonelek calling in and we pulled over to see it, Leita had a good view and just as I realised where it was it flew off into the swamp and I missed it.

We came ashore and Joseph drove us to the Airport Guesthouse where we had booked a couple of nights before coming home and we had a great evening discussing our trip with other guests we had met on our travels.

We visited the UWEC centre the next morning and even though I know they do a lot of good work here I found it sad to see the animals in enclosures, on the walk back to the guesthouse I fancied a beer so stopped at the Entebbe Golf Club and although it is officially members only we were invited in and spent a couple of hours on the balcony overlooking the course. This was probably the friendliest club we have ever visited and unbelievably the cheapest beer of the whole trip.

I had mentioned to Joseph a couple of days earlier about the clothes I had left at Pakuba and he spoke to Ben who got in touch and between them they arranged for them to be brought all of the way back to Entebbe and Joseph and Ben knocked my door a couple of hours before our flight to give them back to me, I thought this showed the extremely terrific level of customer service offered by Hog Safaris.

Our trip back with Turkish Airlines went very smoothly and I will be happy to used them again.

My overall thoughts on Uganda are that it is a beautiful country with some of the friendliest people I have come across and wonderful animal and birdlife. Travelling can be hard at times due to the standard of the roads and maybe we should have had a couple more 2 night stays.

I managed to see all of the animals that I wanted to except the Papyrus Gonelek and that gives me a great reason to return.

Finally again I would point out that overall we made the right choice of accommodation and definitely the right choice of tour operator.

I will post a link to my photographs as soon as I have sorted this out.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our recent trip part two

Thanks again for an interesting read. Too bad about that Gonalek but as you say a good reason to return. It is better to bird the papyrus from a boat so do this next time and catch the Finfoots, White backed Night Heron and Papyrus Warblers too!

I am not a fan of Lake Bunyoni but if I do venture there again I will make a point of avoiding Kalebas. That is so unnecessary.

Congrats on the Mega Stork sighting. Mabamba is a great place to find this bird.

And of course the Gorillas just have to be the most rewarding wildlife experience it is possible to have.

thanks again.

Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our recent trip part two

And I would like to say thanks to you mfuwe for your invaluable help when first planning this trip.

Would not do Bunyonyi again when we return as I would like to do Kidepo and other areas up north but that will be governed by other things.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our recent trip part two

Karibu, Webale nyo.

Great country is it not? Quite addictive. I have not made Kidepo myself yet despite 7 visits. Always something else gets in the way.

Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our recent trip part two

I hope this link works for my photos I warn you its a lot.

https:/…5968476924577510209

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our recent trip part two

thanks for posting, it was most enjoyable reading.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our recent trip part two

The link worked fine. All 947 made me late making Tea and Lady M was not best pleased.

Special for me was the Pygmy Kingfisher, Skimmers in flight sequence and that lovely infant gorilla. Not forgetting all the others of course which were really great. Shoebill and Malachite K.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our recent trip part two

Thanks for the conclusion and the photos. The photos always add a reality that the written word can't quite bring.

As a new birder, I appreciated all the different bird shots. I find myself playing 'name that bird' and testing my ID knowledge. Some I may have to go back to and look up.

I also appreciated the flower shots. Particularly now with Ottawa under too much snow. One made me smile - the 'yesterday, today and tomorrow' shrub. Or so they call it in Tanzania. It blooms 3 days and the blooms change the shade of purple depending on how mature the bloom is and the 3 shades are on the tree at the same time.

Just so many to remark on. All wonderful. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our recent trip part two

I'm even more excited for my upcoming trip now. You managed to get some good photos of the gorillas even with all of the foliage. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. How many total days was your trip? Thanks again for the report.

Hamble, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our recent trip part two

Our trip was thirteen days but we stayed in Uganda for 18 days in total, it was really difficult to get good photos of the gorillas and even though we had 3 cameras with us I actually left the bridge camera which would have been the best due to its focusing system at the lodge.

I can assure you that you will love it.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our recent trip part two

Hi there! I am so glad your trip with Hog Safaris and Joseph went smoothly. It is good to know that others have had a similar experience to us.