We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

I am heading to Uganda in February and have a Verizon Wireless blackberry. Every time someone in our office goes overseas, we call to activate the global functions on the BBs and they never work. Has anyone on here had a real-world success story with Verizon in Uganda that I can rely on as their people don't seem to know what to do?

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

Just buy a new which you can re-sale at the end of your trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,581 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

Goose, call Verizon global. for only the cost of shipping in each direction ($19.99 total) they will send you a global phone. You keep your own phone number (and disable your phone with that number at the time you enable the Global phone)

Of course they can explain it much better. the phone Verizon sent us is sitting here. I can't tell you how good it works because we had to cancel our trip! So the phone is going back. There are a variety of phone models to choose from. We're low-tech so asked for the simplest phone.

verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/globaltravel…

Edited: 15 January 2014, 07:01
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

I just noticed an advert for 39,000 /- (special Christmas offer, so 10,000 less than normal) - for a basic Alcatel phone. A lot of people do that here, just buy and sell (?) give to a driver, before you go.

4. Re: Will my Verizon phone work in Uganda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:18