We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bat Cave?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Bat Cave?

Before I ask my TO, I thought I'd get the experts opinion here. I would like to visit the Bat Cave at Maramagambo Forest but don't know if we'll have the time or how close we'll be to be able to go there. Of these 3 days, is there one that we could fit in a visit to the Bat Cave?

Day 1:

We will be driving from Buhoma Community Rest Camp to Queen Elizabeth National Park, staying at Bush Lodge, with nothing else planned except the drive.

Day 2:

The following day, we will do a Kyumbura Chimp trek and an afternoon Kazinga Channel boat trip.

Day 3:

The next day, we drive to Kibale, Chimpanzee Forest Guest House with nothing else planned that day.

I read that there is viewing room with glass between people and the bats at the Bat Cave -- I'm wondering if that will interfere with getting good photos? (I know the history behind why the glass is there.)

Thanks for any guidance you can give! We are going in November.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 02:41
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bat Cave?

Forgot to mention that I read that a Bat Cave visit only takes about 90 minutes.

Sicily, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bat Cave?

You can visit the bat cave before your check in at bush on day 1..

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bat Cave?

All three days are possible.

Day 1 would seem the best as you just need to turn right not left as you reach the tar road and take the Jacana Lodge track to the park gate. Half hour drive there. Then returning the same way and at the tar road go left and proceed to Bush Lodge.

Day 2 Having left Kyambura you are almost at the start of the Jacana track. Same time frame as 1.

Day 3 is more of a detour as you will be initially 'going the wrong way' but not that much further. Couple of miles or so to the turn off.

Would I be that keen to go if there is glass in the way? Seems like a zoo.

However the birding around there is extremely good. Black phase of Paradise flycatcher, Black BeeEaters. Blue breasted Kingfishers. I would go for those but not the Bats.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 10:55
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bat Cave?

You'll be glad there's a glass (which cave is this, the one near Jacana??) Yucky, sticky, and stinky!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bat Cave?

Come on Shelly,

On safari one learns to use ALL our senses not just sight. sounds, touch and yes smell. How else would one tell the age of a male Giraffe?

Bats behind glass deprive you of a large part of their attraction. God knows they have little enough as it is.

Yes it is the Maramagambo Cave I assume, by the NP check point.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bat Cave?

Thanks, mfuwe. I'll add this in. I love bats - yes, yucky, stinky, stinky bat-quano bats. It's worth the trip to me, even if the glass keeps me from getting good photos.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bat Cave?

I ws there Summer 2012. Is the glass new? it wasn't there then. The guide went right up to the cave entrance and took amazing closeup creepy pix, but tourists (me) were not allowed that close then.

I 'd say best on your Day One. It is a detour off your main route--with the round-trip drive, then the walk to the bat cave, it will add about 2--2.5 hours to your "time budget."

I was VERY glad I went.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bat Cave?

Hi calinurse,

I thought it had been there awhile since the woman died in 2008 contracting some horrible disease, but I don't know. You can see a photo here:

ugandawildlife.org/explore-our-parks/parks-b…

I plan to go either way. Were there very many in your group, or were you on your own? Just curious what the experience is like - maybe you mentioned it in a Trip Report?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bat Cave?

Hi Sea-Lon--

haha! i am just headed into SF from across the Bay in Oakland!! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet .

I was alone at the bat cave, save for the guard, Yes, it's been a few yrs since the woman died, but the authorities in Uganda are still , quite reasonably, very cautious!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bat Cave?

The lady caught Marburg Virus when she was bitten by a Bat. Not a nice way to go.

Take care.

Most Safari guides will take clients to the cave. You don't need a group. It is about 30 minutes walk through the forest from the Ranger post.