We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelly's bird identification thread

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Shelly's bird identification thread

Anyone is welcome to post; and if you like, you can post anything else on here wildlife-related to Uganda for assistance.

I am not a birder, nor am I particularly interested in the little feathery things, however thought it might warm up the forum a little in friendship and so on, to help each other out. My interests lie in the photography really. I know the logical thing is to post the bird photo on flickr or some such, and then you can identify it. But on this occasion, I'd like to describe the bird, and then see if you can get it! Having checked my Fanshawe, tedious page by page, I can't work it out at all.

Brown bird, (orangey-brown, not blackbird brown) with bright yellow beak; looks like a little blue/grey/white under the tail feathers. Probably about starling sized, but plumper, and ability to really fluff up the feathers. Very distinct almost parrot-like call.

Over to you!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Have you been on the Shelly again Sherry?

Bright yellow beak. Not much it can be other than...........! 168.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

The cheek! I start a thread to give you something amusing to do an'all.

I thought it might have been an olive thrush but no. It's uniform in colour apart from under the tail. It's the wrong brown on 168. It's exactly the brown of 170, the red tailed ant thrush. Only with a yellow beak.

This is going to be one of those, "why I don't like the book" situations, isn't it?

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Waooooooooooo this is nice Shelly. The thread is likely to promote birding in this region

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

It's the Yellow beak dear. I did not say Olive Thrush just the page. You don't get Olive in Kampala which is where I assume you saw this UFO. So it was either:- a, an African Thrush or b, A Red-tailed Ant-thrush that had been on the Bird's custard.

All birders should beware of the colour yellow around the head. Pollen can discolour bills and plumage.

Just thinking aloud. I still blame the Sherry!

Tell you what. I am in the Hill of Impalas next week. Why not show it to me over a Sherry? In fact to heck with the bird, just show me the Sherry! LoL.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 10:02
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

How confusing. Why would you assume it was in Kla? Please can you send me an actual link to a real photo of the bird you think it is, thank you ever so!

UGS, you are very sweet!

I have managed to get a great blue turaco and a hornbill (the one with the red bill) in the last couple of weeks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Well I assumed Kampala as that is where you live. Of course if not there then where? Van Diemens land?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

More cryptology. Indeed, however it doesn't mean I stay here 7/7!

So have you thrown in the towel with ID on this bird?

Edited: 08 March 2014, 10:57
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Not chucking in the towel. Seeking further and better particulars. As a Civil Servant would say "Your application is returned due to lack of details".

There are very few birds with a Yellow bill. I can almost rattle them off.

Egrets? Nope, Yellow billed Duck? Nope. Not a Barbet, Pelican, Parrot or Raptor. Not a BeeEater, Roller, Cuckoo, Coucal, Kingfisher, Hornbill or Hoopoe so we are now onto plate 127. Not even the eponymous "YellowBill" fits. Of course it could be something exotic like a Chatterer or Capuchin Babbler (the call would fit) Not a yellow-billed Shrike nor a Starling. The rest of the book is too small.

Shelly, as the man in the Deerstalker once said "When you have eliminated all the impossibilities, what you have left, however improbable, has to be the answer." Not sure if he was a birdwatcher but it applies. You saw an African Thrush. Turdus pelios.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Ahaaaaa!

Thanks to The Boma Entebbe FB page, I have worked it out. It's a Broad Billed Roller.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shelly's bird identification thread

Shelly wins!

So, this is where the photo was; I am indebted to Andrew for his generous flickr shots, that I'm linking here to whet all our appetites!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118855938@N08/sets/72157642022347355/

Again, am prepared to eat my words of the past. The Botanical Gardens' birds are pretty incredible!

Edited: 12 March 2014, 15:07