We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed for trip september 2014

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help needed for trip september 2014

Hi, I am currently planning a trip to Uganda in September, booking my international flights myself and getting a tour operator to arrange the land based tour. My question is this, we have nine full days, our visit is to see the primates, we have been lucky enough to experience several safaris prior to this trip so we really only want to focus on chimps and gorillas. However we have found that itineraries so far have included a lot of other excursions, game drives, boat trips etc, which we would rather miss out to focus on primates and time to relax. Has anybody got any suggestions re possible itinerary or a company that would be able to create a trip more suitable to our needs. Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

Most TOs, and there are several who monitor and even post on this Forum, will happily put together a tailor made private trip for you that only does what you require.

Primates suggests Kibale where you can do an Habituation walk with chimps that takes the full day. Most folks skip this because of time pressures but you don't have that problem so thoroughly recommend that to you. Also many different species of Monkey there.

Gorillas are down in Bwindi, where there are also many other primates and so called Golden Monkeys at Mgahunga, so there are your two centres.

The problem is that Kibale is north and Bwindi south so you need transferring twixt the two. This take you right past the gate to QENP so it seems a shame to pass by that chance. That is why it is included in most itineraries as it makes a nice half way stop to break the journey which is otherwise quote long but CAN be done in one day..

A suitable itinerary would take you from Entebbe to FortPortal and Kibale for three nights where you would meet the Chimps. Then from there either a long drive via Katanguru on to Bwindi if you don't mind the drive. Or just an night stop at say Bush Lodge which won't attract park Fees.

Then 4 nights or so at Bwindi/Buhoma or elsewhere for Gorillas.

As I said most TOs can do this. I hesitate to recommend any of them over others but I use Churchill and find them reliable but whoever you use do tell them your specific requirements or you will get the bog standard offering. (Which are very nice especially the Kazinga cruise.)

tennessee
Level Contributor
258 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

I have recently returned from a trip to Uganda for primarily primate viewing and I do understand your desire to do mainly primate treks. However, it would be a pity to miss the boat trip on Kazinga channel. We were on a smaller boat, the Kingfisher which only holds 11 or so passengers and we we able to get an entirely different perspective of wildlife viewing. Birdlife was also very plentiful.

Chimp treks can be arranged for an entire day, which is what I would advise. Gorilla treks can take all day as well. My Bwindi trek to the usually easy Rushegera group was almost 9 hours. There is certainly nothing wrong with having relaxing days built in to your itinerary as you might need some time to recover. I was pleasantly surprised by most of the accommodations and we had no problem enjoying the occasional free afternoon in any of these settings. As Mufwe says, make sure your TO knows what you want.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

You can get up close and personal with chimps at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary and the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre (the zoo). You can spend the night in both places. (I haven't been to Uganda yet but plan to spend the night at the UWEC; Ngamba Island is expensive.)

A couple of the companies I got in touch with for quotes are Safari 2 Gorillas and Primate Watch.

Have fun planning and please come back with a trip report!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

Hello Brecon

Welcome to the forum! We did the Kibale trek and had a great time. Others (see reports above) have done the chimp habituation and have nothing but compliments about it. You can search the forum for that in the search box above with the magnifying glass. Ponaire was one former traveller who enjoyed it, who would be very happy to answer any questions about it.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

Thank you for all your very useful tips, going to spend a few days looking into the different options you've suggested

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

Well, we look forward to your itinerary!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

Hello,

We spent some time on Ngamba Island, then did the habituation in Kibale , tracking in Kyambura gorge and then Gorillas in Bwindi. I do recommend Wild Excursion Safaris because the trip was fairly priced compared to all other options we had inquired from. The vans were always clean and our guide , Eddie was very friendly and helpful. We had some issues with our bank but still managed to do the trip and payed the balance almost halfway into the trip.

You can contact them through info@wildexcursionsafaris.com

8. Re: help needed for trip september 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18