We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card

truro
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card

Hi,

Last time I was in Uganda (2 years ago) it was necessary to register for a SIM card, I managed to get an airtel SIM card from a friend so I never even looked at the registration process.

Does anyone know if you still have to register for SIM cards? And if so how does the registration process work and how long does it take?

Or alternitively does anyone know of any networks that you do not need to register for? Or if my Airtel SIM from two years ago will still work? It has been inactive in England for the past 2 years so I doubt it but then again, technology does amaze me.

Thanks in Advance

Sam

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card

All sim cards bought must be registered first to work.

You can visit any Air tel outlet in Uganda to help you to re-activate it.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card

Hi Sam

It may work, but you may need to go into an Airtel office/agent and get them to activate it for you. Yes, you have to register if you need a new SIM - it was a Government policy to counter some of the unpleasantness of life.

Registration is fairly painless - you just fill a form in, provide a vague temporary address and a copy of your passport or other ID. You do not have to take a ppt photo in with you, although they may request it.

truro
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card

Thank you very much for your response! I've waited 4 hours for lunch in Uganda before so I did worry that getting a SIM card may be a similar process, I'm happy to register if it only requires a passport and photo.

Thanks again

Sam

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card

No problem Sam!

The only thing you may need to be extra patient with, is the actual activation of said card... so ask, when you go in to whichever provider. Can't say I am terribly impressed with Orange, for example! Did two registrations for friends a couple of months back, and it took them 3 days and another visit into the shop... (sigh).

5. Re: Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 19:12
6. Re: Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 05:21