We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

I would be in Entebbe\kampala for five days after 10 days of safari in tanzania in February. What can I do in those five days? Please suggest itinerary. Since I would have spent most of my budget in Tanzania...I would be tight on that front. Secondly what would be a way to travel from arusha to Entebbe \kampala if I don't want to fly?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

Hello

What's the reason for coming to Kampala? Feb 2015?

Your only other option is buses, and that is a bit tricky at the moment, with increased security issues - however daytime travel is generally OK. There is a curfew at night. That is a very long way on a bus though (well, more than one bus.)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

Since I was there in Tanzania I thought of coming over. And seeing another place

It was just an idea? Wonder if I should go to Nairobi instead???

Kampala
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

What to do in 5 five days in Kampala or Entebbe.

There isn't much to do in Kampala but you can extend to Jinja for water rafting/Quad biking/Bungee jumping

In Entebbe, Visit Ngamba Island chimpanzee sanctuary.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

No! Stay away from Nairobi - there is plenty to keep you occupied, just wondered what your main point for coming was.

What types of things interest you? UGS has made some very good points. Could you spend time on a chimp trek? Can get to Kibale Forest, without too many hours of travel. Also Rhino Sanctuary is very worthwhile, only 3 hours north. Did you think about gorillas?

You could also consider a swamp trip, to see the shoebill etc, from Entebbe. Botanical Gardens in EBB very good for bird photography; and UWEC zoo is improving, with a behind the scenes tour - currently have a baby orphaned ellie, and you can interact with him and the giraffes.

How's that to kick off with?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

What about sesse island? Am I spelling it correct?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,504 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

You could consider spending the time in Tanzania. Not to dissuade you from visiting other countries, but consider the time factor if bussing, added visas and right now there is some heightened security issues for bussing and Nairobi.

Many go to Zanzibar sfter safari, but that involves either numerous buses or flights. Or if you just want down time, consider taking the local but to the Tanga region on the coast of Tanzania. Local buses about six-eight hours. North or south of Tanga are nice beach resorts but less crowded and cheaper tha Zanzibar. You do not need a TO for that section. It would be a nice time to beach it in Tanz, but there is also old Zanzibar history in the area.

Or consider that a flight from Kilimanjaro (you need an international airport) to Entebbe is one hour and $250 one way, or bus to Nairobi (4-6 hours) Kenya visa (or East Africa visa for both Kenya and Uganda). Overnight there to be on the safe side, then another day busing to Kampala. Cheaper, but a lot more time. There are ways to get there by boat from Mwanza, Tanzania, but then you have to do your safari one way, have them drive you to Mwanza (some game drives throug the Serengeti) and still pay one or two days' rental for the guide to drive the jeep back to Arusha. Also, Lake Victoria, that Seesse Islands are on have Biz, so you shouldn't swim in it if that was an interest.

Uganda deserves more time to give it the attention it deserves.

USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

I would recommend going to Zanzibar instead, the reason why have being explained by others, you should have another visa and the security on border are heavy nowadays, but if you really want to go I recommend using buses there is online bus service you can Google it through www.jipaconnections.com, it have being very helpful for me.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

Hello again

Ssese Islands and others like them, may well be of interest to you. You just need to think about how you are going to access Uganda, if by bus better to come round to the west, than through Kenya at the moment.

When are you planning to visit EA?

Zürich, Zurich...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

I would recommend for you to travel either to Kibale (and the crater lakes etc. of the mountains of the moon around Fort Portal) or to travel to Murchison Falls National Park for a short safari there. I know that the Murchison Falls part can be done at roughly 900 USD for four days using Fort Murchison as your lodge and the Kibale National Park option should be around 700 USD travelling single and including a chimp track and the Bigodi swamp and community walk.

Alternatively, if there is still some budget, you could also opt in for a 4 day trip to Bwindi to track mountain gorillas. This would be 600USD for the permit and roughly 1500 in total travelling alone and with full board accommodation at upper budget and medium lodges.

10. Re: Five days in Uganda...suggest itinerary????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:15