We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of this itinerary?

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of this itinerary?

I am coming to uganda in November for a week with work and intend tagging a week on for a bit of travelling afterwards. After much research, I have decided on an itinerary and have been trying to get the best price. Unfortunately, I am on my own so the price jumps considerably. Churchill have given me a price of $3030 inc gorilla and chimp permit. I would welcome comments on the following (I know I may not have time for the Batwa visit but as I am visiting communities in the east of the country in my first week, that 's not a biggie):

The following accomodations will be used and its all inclusive with all entry fees and activities.

Day 1 overnight Kampala (prefer the Boma guest house.

Day 2 drive kibale- Chimpanzee guest house

Day 3 chimp trekking- Chimpanzee guest house

Day 4 drive QE park (tea picking?)- Bush lodge or Enganzi lodge

Day 5 game drive - afternoon Kazinga boat ride- Bush lodge or Enganzi lodge

Day 6 drive Bwindi- Silverback lodge

Day 7 gorilla trekking (Batwa walk?)- Silverback lodge

Day 8 return entebbe

Many thanks.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

Where are you going to be before Day 1?

The Boma is in Entebbe, so that doesn't fit to start with, although it's lovely!

Although I have done the QE to Kibale for tracking (very good by the way) myself, I can't remember how long it took, should allow 3 hours max, depending on where you start from/to. Tea picking?? Do you want to do that?!

Not stayed in those accomms, so can't comment.

Drive and Kazinga, yes, where will you have lunch? Mweya?

Silverback is nice, owned by Marasaa Central Reservations/Madvahni, check out FB pages, not stayed there though.

Your gorilla activity should be the only thing you plan that day.. you could be trekking for hours. Equally you could find the gorillas in 20 minutes, but why not build in a rest afterwards - if you have 4 hours to find them, you have that long to get back again!

Day 8 will be very long... what time will you fly out? BA? Allowances for break-downs/other contingency? Will you do your craft shopping the previous week? Personally, I don't like that idea, although it is possible.

Any chance you could break journey back at Lake Mburo for one night and then to Entebbe next day?

Edited: 26 August 2014, 19:21
Kampala
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

I guess this is a budget Tour basing on the lodges mentioned except Silver back lodge which is mid-range.

The quotation is quite good and so is the Itinerary.

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

Thanks shellyRM.

I am coming to Uganda with WaterAid for the first week, looking at the work they do. It will be a pretty full on week.

The rest of my party will be departing from Entebbe on the Sunday evening so I was anticipating them dropping me off in Entebbe, but thanks for pointing that out. It might be that the tour company will prefer me to be in Kampala so I will clarify this with them.

The tea picking I saw in another itinerary - I thought it sounded interesting to find out how it is grown, picked etc. but it's only a possibility .... Maybe I'll save it for my trip to Sri Lanka....

I will forget the Batwa tour (I always save something for next time so I've got an excuse to come back).

Much as I would like to break the journey staying at Lake Mburo, my budget is stretched as it is and I really can't extend it any longer.

My flight is not yet booked but will be with BA which leaves at 1 am I think. I can stay another night at the Boma as it would be good to have a rest day anyway.

Thanks for the comments.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

Hi (oooh WaterAid, very good!)

Yes, you would be much better off being left in Kampala. The EBB to town road is pretty dire, don't go there unnecessarily!

Don't let me diss your tea idea, but I think you'd be better saving the time for other things in honesty!

If you can stay at the Boma on exit, they can transfer you, much easier. It took my husband THREE hours to get from Kampala to the terminal the other day. Just awful!

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

Three hours sounds dire - it doesn't look that far on the map.

Fortunately, I just heard today that we will be in Kampala for the second half of the work week so I may as well stay another night at the hotel we are allocated and start the trip from there the next morning.

On the negative side, because flights are on Sundays and Tuesdays, I will have to endure the drive from Bwindi on the Saturday. Not ideal as the flight goes at 0.40 hrs Sunday. I am one of those irritating people who like to get to the airport hours beforehand so I will find it a bit stressful not having a wider margin of error. I've looked at flights but too expensive. One night r & r would have been great but I can't stretch to two and take the Tuesday flight. 😟 Can't complain though, I am looking forward to an awesome trip.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

no it doesnt look that far, but traffic is generally bad at night, and extra security hold ups.

Where are they putting you in town?

You will have a great time,I'm sure.

7. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Uganda
Recent Conversations