We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon recommendations??

Brum, UK
9 posts
Save Topic
honeymoon recommendations??

Hi everyone,

I'm in the early stages of planning my honeymoon and so far the basic plan is to have a week on safari and then a week somewhere close but chilled out, preferably with a beach but still activities. However, we don't even know where to start in picking our location for the safari because there's so much on offer. Zambia seems like a possibility because of the Victoria Falls on top of the game but we would really appreciate any recommendations, even if not necessarily for Zambia. Would Tanzania be better??

We're also thinking of opting for a private game reserve as we reckon we'll be shattered after the Wedding and basing ourself in one place might be less tiring - is that a mistake? Would we be missing out?

We'll be going end of Sept next yr, so any advice would be so appreciated!!

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Tough call. I like Zambia and have visited many times but for a honeymoon I have my doubts. You rightly home in on Victoria Falls but the better Game Parks are some distance away. You are coy on budget too and believe me this does make a difference. I am happy enough basing myself in one place for weeks on end but that does not suit everyone. For Zambia head down to Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa where there some high end luxury places as well as more modest ones. Tanzania is great too and would fit your requirement for a relaxing stay. Maybe a tour of the famous parks, Ngorongoro, good anytime of year, with a trip to Zanzibar or Pemba.

One place that may fit the Bill perfectly if huge quantities of Game are not a priority over a relaxing romatic beach is "The Tent with a View" in Saadani NP. Indian Ocean and Wildlife in one place.

www.saadani.com

But IF it was me and I had my time over again, I would take a long hard look at Namibia. Awesome Deserts, wildlife of course and some great Lodges.

www.lianshulu.com should whet your appetite.

Brum, UK
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Thanks, both of these look fantastic! Any more recommendations very welcome though!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Any more recommendations. What just for Zambia or Africa in general? It really comes down to what you want and how much you are prepared to pay. I have never really thought of Zambia as a Honeymoon destination but there you go. Times are a changing.

There are the Falls of course but September is not the best time for them I am told. (What would I know? Been to Zambia 12 times and never seen them!)

If you want cosetted luxury then some Lodges in Zambia can provide this. Aromatherapy, Bubble Baths, whatever. You could treat yourselves to "The Africa House" but there are no animals of note up there.

A romantic Bush Camp in South Luangwa maybe? Bear in mind the flight is 10 hours from LHR and this is just to Lusaka. To get to the Parks or the Falls (in opposite directions) is another 3 hours or so. And the visa ain't cheap. One thing for sure is that Zambia has no Beach!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Hi, Look at Kaya Mawa, Likoma Island on Lake Malawi.

Never been, but the write ups are fantastic. You will find on the Malawi page. Often used as a part of a tour including safari's. Looks like the perfect honeymoon place. Malawi is a little known holiday destination, but I love it, my only regret is I didn't find it until I was in my 50s. If you want to chill out there is no better place. I feel 10 years younger every time I go.

The people are fantastic, English is widely spoken, even use 13amp plugs!! there are no visa fees, the immigration is straitforward, just a few minutes at the desk and you are in. A 30 day visa stamp is given, and if you want to stay longer all you need to do is go to a local office and re-new for £20, up to 90 days.

Ivan

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

I have two recommendations. If you are looking at the Victoria Falls area, I would consider Tongabezi (they have a couple of wonderful honeymoon suites, one of the best is called Nut House, but there is also Dog house and Honeymoon House). Then combine that with Chobe Game Lodge, overlooking the Chobe River (about 2 hours away in Botswana, so close enough). Chobe Game Lodge offers fantastic game viewing, and I would suggest you book a suite which has a private deck with own swimming pool. Liz Taylor had one of her many honeymoons here...

Another great option would be to start your honeymoon safari at Leadwood Lodge or Lion Sands Ivory Lodge in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve (adjacent to Kruger Park) in South Africa. Fantastic game viewing and great honeymoon accommodations, with private plunge pool, outside shower, etc. Then fly to nearby Mozambique and stay at one of the many beach resorts in Bazarruto (look at Marlin Lodge for example). Keep in mind the flight from Nelspruit to Vilanculous is only twice a week, so you need to plan it carefully.

Hope this helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Hi,

We went on our honeymoon in May this year and did our safari in Sabi Sands (next to Kruger National Park) then flew to Zambia to see the falls and also do a sunset cruise, lion walk, elephant walk & helicopter ride..then flew to Mauritius for the beach part.

If you want to see Vic Falls then I would check out what the water levels will be like in September because you may be better off sticking to a private reserve in Sth Africa and then doing a beach part (Mauritius or Zanzibar).

A friend of mine has just come back from Zambia and said there is a fantastic game park (link below) where she saw lots of animals..personally though, I just cant go past Sabi Sands, especially if its your first safari and also your honeymoon.

http://www.flatdogscamp.com/home.htm

If you need any more advice or suggestions I'd be more than happy to help! We loved Sth Africa so much that we have already booked our next trip!!

Happy planning & congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Soraya :)

Brum, UK
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

Thanks guys, I'll look at all these recommendations in detail over the weekend - it's so exciting!

8. Re: honeymoon recommendations??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 11:26