We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
795 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Hi,

We're looking into going to Zambia for a few weeks in 2010 and can't afford to go tailormade. However, Made in Africa Tours/Tours Zambia seem to have some relatively affordable small group options. Does anyone have any experience with this company. Would love to hear from you, if you have used them.

Thanks.

Hunbille

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Hi, dont know the companies so cant comment, but without a doubt, the best way is to do lots of research on here, decide where and what you want to do, and book direct with lodges etc. especially if you want to stay for some time, outfitters will be the expensive way to go, "if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is" The only companies that I know as being good are Wilderness Safaries, Robin Pope, there are plenty of good reports on lodges, Flatdogs gets good reports I'm sure Mfuwe will come on with some comments, as an expert on the country.

Ivan

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

I did quite a bit of research, and both companies that you mention are too expensive for us.

We only plan to do lodges in Livingstone - otherwise we would like to do small group camping, offered by a few tour operators. I have narrowed it down, and am interested specifically in this company (and a couple of others, if I can't find any reports on them) - only don't like to book with them without having seen them mentioned on this or similar forums.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

thanks Ivan but Mfuwe is Expert for Isle of Man (allegedly). I really don't know much about the Livingstone/Falls area and have mainly gathered my limited knowledge around my home town of Mfuwe. I am sure there must be some outfits that provide low cost camping tours elsewhere in Zambia but I can only think of 'Voyagers' in Lusaka and Juls www.julsafrica.com also in Lusaka. The only other people I can think of would be "Land & Lakes" in Llilongwe. Either I live in a different world or Zambia does not appear to go in for this sort of tourism. Most Lodges will organise camping of corse but using their staff and equipment for which read "Expensive."

Long shot. Try these people www.maramba-zambia.com They keep their ear to the ground and in any event it is a nice place for the Falls.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Hi

I have done a few trips in Zambia but used 2 companies from Malawi,

Kiboko and african nomad safaris, Kiboko was a small group trip and left on set dates and african nomad safaris (food was good!!)was tailor made camping trip which left on the days we wanted , this trip was about $20 a day more then kiboko and was in a private vehicle.

we went to South Luangwa (amazing), Lower Zambezi (canoe and sunset boat cruise) and Vic Falls , we want to go to Kafue next as we did not have time on the last trip.

hope this is of some help

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Hi

out of interest I looked at the Made in Africa Tours website and noticed the vehicles in the photos are from a company called Jenman Africa Safaris, as I have also travelled with them in Namibia. They have offices around the world.

Maybe you could go direct to them as it may be cheaper??!!!!!!

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Would you mind telling us what your their proposed itinerary looks like right now?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

Thanks for all the great response!

The company uses various tour operators - amongst them Jenman Safaris - I have checked with them, but they don't have anything that would suit us in Zambia at the moment.

What we are thinking of is combining two itineraries - the South Luangwa Walking Safari

www.tours-zambia.com/tour_details.asp…

and the Lower Zambezi Canoe Safari

www.tours-zambia.com/tour_details.asp…

and then doing a few nights in Livingstone on our own and a Kafue trip with a local operator, Wildside Tours/ safari-kafue-zambia.travel

safari-kafue-zambia.travel/Kafue_National_Pa…

This should add up to about 3 weeks. As I'd like to have not too many places to deal with, I'd like to book the South Luangwa part and the Lower Zambesi part together.

I really appreciate the help! And any testimony to the good or the bad about Tours Zambia especially.

Hunbille

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,823 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

I have had a look at tours -zambia site. The low cost "walking Safaris" as far as I could seedo not actually do any walking. They are based at Wildlife Camp which is a very nice Camp that I know well but it is not walking. The Walking Safari is $6,000.

Bristol
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

I've come into contact with Tours Zambia while staying at Wildlife Camp- as far as I could tell, there was flexibility in the itineraries their customers followed, so that some people chose to do drives while others joined walks. There may be a surcharge for choosing your own activities, but Wildlife Camp are always very accommodating and should be able to meet your needs.

Have you thought of booking through ChaChaCha Safaris? They offer the Lower Zam and South Luangwa options and are pretty inexpensive. The backpackers itself is situated in Lusaka and gets generally bad reviews, but most of the safaris they sell are run by independent companies and they get good reviews overall (you can find customer feedback on their websites). The S. Luangwa operation is run by http://www.jackalberrysafaris.net/ and the Kafue venture by http://mukambi.com/; you'll probably get a better price by going direct to the companies, although ChaChaCha will be able to organise a package for you if you'd prefer that.

The other option would be to join an overland trip for the 'Zambia' leg of their journey: Wilderness, Nomad and Drifters are just some of the companies that ply the route from S. Luangwa to Livingstone, sometimes via Lower Zam.

Bristol
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Made in Africa Tours/www.tours-zambia.com

ChaChaCha Safaris website: http://www.zambiasafaricompany.com/

Have fun!