We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Wanderer Northbound 25 day tour - With Geckos advent

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
African Wanderer Northbound 25 day tour - With Geckos advent

Hi all

I am travelling to Africa in Dec 2010 with a friend and we are doing the African Wanderer Northbound 25 day trip with Geckos Grassroots adventures.

Just wondering if anyone has done this tour before and can suggest what type of clothing would be appropriate/ necessary and also what the temperature would be like late dec early janurary.

Thanking You

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African Wanderer Northbound 25 day tour - With Geckos advent

I haven't done this tour exactly, but I did a similar route last year.

I didn't take very many clothes with me, I had one "good" outfit for in case we went for a night out somewhere, nothing flash or posh though. Then for the most part I lived in two pairs of shorts and a few vest tops/t-shirts! Some of the places along the way will have laundry facilities so you'll be able to get things washed! Swimwear is a must - you'll regret it if you don't take the opportunity to swim off Zanzibar! Swimming is also possible in Lake Malawi, but be aware that there are infections that can be picked up (one in particular that I can't remember the name of right now, but you can get medication for around $2 "just in case")

Bear in mind though, Zanzibar is an Islamic island and as such modesty is required despite the heat eg girls are expected to have their shoulders covered and wear trousers/long skirts (or at least knee length). On the beach is fine though.

I travelled in August/September/October so can't comment on what the weather will be like when you travel, but you can be sure that at the top of the Ngorongoro Crater will be very very chilly!! If you are staying at a campsite at the top, make sure you have a warm jumper to sleep in!! It's also pretty cold in the morning in the Serengeti. Most evenings/nights are a lot cooler than the day.

Other things to remember to take, that I found invaluable... a headtorch - I took one as an after thought and can't believe how much I relied on it, remember some campsites have limited or no electricity. A penknife, always useful! Small padlocks, you can lock your tent from the outside or when you are inside - I don't think it's necessary, but nice to have for peace of mind. If you have long hair, a bandana of some kind for when you are in open vehicles, sounds daft, but having knotty hair and no proper showers etc is a royal pain!! Hand sanitiser gel and packs of tissues for those "convenience" stops in the middle of nowhere... Face wipes, can be used for wiping all sorts down! If you are taking a camera, make sure you have plenty of batteries and memory!!

Sorry I rambled on, I had such a good time, I still get really enthusiastic... :O) I hope you have a brilliant time!!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African Wanderer Northbound 25 day tour - With Geckos advent

Thankyou Little Miss Red

Thats great to hear =)

Im excited.. and i had thought of taking those hand sanitisers and face wipes/ wet ones to wipe down.. bandana is a great idea too!

Padlocks i was thinking but after you saying it will be a definite. and also the Zanzibar stuff thats good to know.. will def try to take a longer dress or skirt to wear and a cardi to cover my shoulders =)

Thanks for your help appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
3. Re: African Wanderer Northbound 25 day tour - With Geckos advent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2011, 05:16