We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me choose NPs

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
195 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me choose NPs

Hi All,

I'll be visiting Africa in September for the first time, going to zim-and-zam. There are four national parks I'm contemplating:

zam: Kafue, South Luangwa.

zim: Matusadona, Mana Pools.

(I also plan to visit Matobo, but I guess that's a different kind of park - granite, balancing rocks.)

Assuming that one can't (and perhaps shouldn't) do eveything at once, what are the differences between these four? Would any be repeatitive? Which should be prioritized?

(I'm not into bird watching.)

Are all of them accesible by flights?

Thanks,

Roni.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
914 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me choose NPs

I can tell you Mana is wonderful and so is South Luangwa. Both are accessible by plane, you can do Mana by boat and car, camps at Mana are pricey. Flatdogs at South Luangwa is very reasonable in price and the most favored by most folks on this board. You can get there by looong bus rides and bone jarring minibus (dangerous) or fly in with Proflite on a one hour jaunt from Lusaka. Unless you are going to Zim for some other reason, I think you can get into Mana by boat from Zambian side....ask some of the lodges. You then avoid the crazyness of Zim.

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me choose NPs

Don't miss South Luangwa. The Flat Dogs camp is located near the park main gate, and so probably does it's game viewing in a slightly busier area of the park. If you can, consider going the lodges further into the park, like Bush Camp or Robin Pope. They all pick up from the local airport

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me choose NPs

There is Zikomo Safari Camp, not to far from Robin Pope Safaris Tena Tena. It is in a game rich area, without all the traffic that is in the Mfuwe area. And it is priced about the same as Flatdogs.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me choose NPs

I suggest you avoid trying to take a boat from the zambia side to the Zimbabwe side. Everyone must go through immigration and customs which is located in Zimbabwe. Otherwise, you may find yourself with legal issues and not on holiday.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,919 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me choose NPs

I have only been to Mana Pools and South Luangwa but both are fantastic. South Luangwa is my favourite park in Africa which I have been back to many times. MP I have only been to for 4 days, and been through on a canoe safari. However, it's on my list to go back to.

As for accessibility- SL is easy- scheduled flights with Proflight to Mfuwe, and any camp/lodge will pick you up from there. Mana Pools is less easy, which is part of the reason I haven't yet got back there. Flights in are only charters or are run by particular lodge chains there. You can get in from Zambia- tour operators can arrange transfers from Lusaka by road and boat (crossing the border at Chirundu, so no avoiding immigration!). I have recently tried to organise a trip back to MP and found it difficult and expensive to get to as a single traveller because of the high cost of transfers- if you are more than one person it's less of a problem.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me choose NPs

Like many of the above, I would definitely recommend SLNP. Mana Pools also has an excellent reputation.

Some time ago I was advised that the southern part of Kafue didn't have too many animals as a result of poaching. I've been to the northern part which was great. I'd recommend some research on the current position.

Matapos is more than just balancing rocks - many people go to see the Rhino

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me choose NPs

You'll love SLNP as there is no national park better for doing both walking safari( which you'll love),and fabulous night drives. Personally I loved Kaingo camp for walking safari,night drives,superb guiding,location,and it's hides but it may be beyond your budget. This year I'm also going to stay at it's satellite camp Mwamba as it gets rave reviews. You'll also love Mana Pools for it's incredible beauty,and superb walking. As I mentioned in another post,it's arguably the second best place to see wild dogs. However,it's very expensive to fly in there from Victoria Falls.

8. Re: Please help me choose NPs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:15