We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

Hello,

I am just in the early stages of planning a trip for next year. My husband and the friends who want to come are into off road driving, and we will get 2 4 x 4s so there will have to be a bit of challenging roads to keep them happy. They are quite good at fixing cars too. I am interested in seeing lots of animals and birds.

We have been on self drive trips to Namibia, Botswana, Malawi and South Luangwa before, and been to Livingstone (not self driving)

I am thinking of Tanzania or Zambia. Tanzania I was thinking of the Northern parks, which I am tempted by as the bird and animal life look great - I would secretly love to see a cheetah. I've never been to Tanzania though and am a bit put off by the thought of it being busy at the main game viewing areas and lots of hassle at police road blocks.

Zambia I was also tempted by - we loved S. Luangwa but I think we would have to go off the beaten track a bit to keep the men happy and wondered about a route through North and South Luangwa and also Lower Zambezi on the way there or back WE've probably only got 2 - 2.5 weeks and the distances are so huge in Zambia I am thinking that might be too much driving and not enough animal watching. Or might driving through Kafue be a better choice for distance - not sure how good the animals and birds are there compared to S. Luangwa.

The third place I was thinking of though prob less likely is Kaokoland for 4 x 4 driving and then Etosha to relax afterwards. I love Namibia, but think it is hard to get self drive 4x4 insured up there ( as I suppose the risk of damage is high)

Anyway would love to hear suggestions from anyone, I think they all look fantastic anyway, but would really appreciate any tips.

Claire

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

Do the NLNP-SLNP loop- there are a couple of off road routes that should interest the boys. Also combine with Mana Pools. These 2 parks are quite friendly with self drive. Both favorites of mine. For me, every return trip to Africa includes these two parks.

Kafue has some wildlife, but not like SLNP and Mana Pools. The Northern section is not so friendly anymore- best for viewing wildlife- since camping was closed at Lufupa. The southern section is still recovering from extensive poaching.

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

Thank you luangwa blonde. And I must say thank you for your website which we have found invaluable on our previous trips.

I hadnt thought of Mana Pools but I like the idea of it ! I guess you think it is worth the longer trip across the border rather than going to Lower Zambezi? I will get the Zim Bradt guide and check it out.

Cheers, Claire

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

One (of several) significant differences between Lower Zambezi NP and Mana Pools is that in Mana Pools you can camp inside the park. Whereas in LZNP, you must camp outside the park. So once in the park, you are among the wildlife. There are people who camp all day and don't game drive. The wildlife are used to people and vehicles, often walking through or hanging out your camp. But there is a whole lot of other reasons that make Mana Pools the best self drive/camping park in Africa. Read up on Mana Pools. This is another park that is getting very popular and you will want to make reservations.

If you decide that this is the way to go, you can PM me for more info.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

I've not self driven but I've been to these areas (South Luangwa, North Luangwa and Mana Pools). I've also travelled by road from South Luangwa as far as Luambe- it's very wild and remote. I think the SLNP-NLNP route would be a fantastic trip for anyone with the right experience, which it sounds like you have.

Mana Pools would also be great although with only 2-2.5 weeks doing both might be a bit of a rush.

Maputo
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

Hi Claire. We are also planning a self drive from Chirundu to Kitwe, Mwinilunga and then southward to Mongu, Liuwa game res, and then deciding between Kafue, which we have done before (good game) and the Ngonye Falls at Sioma. Then down into the Vic Falls. If anyone could help us plan this, we would appreciate any comments. Has anyone birded into Angola from Mwinilunga? I have seen phots of Liuwa, looks great for birds. There is a huge section of offroad from Liuwa to the Ngonye Falls. Having said all that, there is nothing like SOuth Luangwa. Especially Tafika. Jane

6. Re: Zambia or Tanzania or Kaokoland for a self drive safari ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:45