We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proflight punctuality

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Proflight punctuality

Just looking to book Proflight flight from Mfuwe to Lusaka, to connect in with a SAA flight to Joburg, then hope to catch a BA flight out of Joburg to London... There are only 1.5 hours between the flights in Lusaka, and 2.5 hours in Joburg. Is that really enough or should I play safe and get a much earlier flight and just wait at Lusaka?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proflight punctuality

Is that the lunchtime flight from Mfuwe connecting to SA0065?

I think I have that connection myself next year. I have never had a delay with Proflight and my TO thinks it should be OK. I am not sure if you are using a tour operator but I would recommend you do, as if timings change (which they might do) it's much easier to have a tour operator deal with changing all the flights. I speak from recent experience, having to re-organise trips 3 times, once due to BA cancelling their Dar route, then due to the Nairobi fire and now due to BA cancelling their Lusaka route. It was so much easier having someone else sort it out.

One thing to be aware of is that since BA cancelled their direct Lusaka route, apparently Proflight are considering changes to the schedule, to connect better with other carriers. So things might change in your favour or against you.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proflight punctuality

Good call Stokeygirl!

So do you think I should hold off booking the flights?

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proflight punctuality

How will you know when to hold off until? They are considering changes, but they might or might not actually make any.

I don't know how easy Proflight are to deal with directly- I have never booked flights directly with them, I have always had my flights booked either by a UK tour operator or by a camp/operator in Zambia.

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Proflight punctuality

I took the exact route you mentioned last month. Though my flight from Mfuwe to Lusaka arrived on time, It took some time for my luggage that I checked in at Mfuwe to appear and the SAA counter was crowded and kind of slow-moving which made me nervous. While I was checking in, the boarding announcement started.

There was no line in front of the security check or passport control area, but the the second security check area (just before boarding) was a bit crowded and also there was a long line at the boarding area. I didn't have any time to shop or do anything else other than moving forward to get to the boarding area. FYI, I didn't check in my luggage.

It's a small airport so I think you can make it unless you are traveling with many people or much luggage.

At Joburg, you will be doing a lot of walking as it's a big airport, but I felt 2.5 hrs was enough. I had time to shop and arrived at the gate about 30 minutes before the departure.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proflight punctuality

Stokeygirl,

Which TO did you use?

I've looked into using one for my own itinerary and if I book direct, it's £500 cheaper than the TO - which is quite a hike! But then how do they make their money??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proflight punctuality

thanks - that's really helpful.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Proflight punctuality

I have used Expert Africa in the UK.

Tour operators make their money because they pay less than you do. So you might pay the "rack rate" booking direct. They might pay 20-30% less. So they add some on and charge you. You might end up paying less than the rack rate, depending on how much the TO adds but you shouldn't pay more. In general, TOs that send a lot of business to certain camps or groups of camps might get bigger discounts, which means they might be cheaper for you.

8. Re: Proflight punctuality

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:17