We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lusaka or Harare?

Tucson, AZ
2 posts
Save Topic
Lusaka or Harare?

I'm planning my first trip to Africa for next summer 2015. I will be coming from the US and want to see Victoria Falls. My plan is to fly from the US to either Harare or Lusaka to spend a couple of days in one of those cities, and then fly on to Livingstone. Which city, Lusaka or Harare, do you recommend as the first stop? I'm interested in each culture and enjoy galleries, arts & crafts, restaurants, etc. I will be doing game reserves in Botswana and South Africa, so will probably not do that in Zambia or Zimbabwe, unless there are other recommendations. Thanks !!

Kitwe, Zambia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lusaka or Harare?

Hello Quincy, I'm afraid I am biased towards Zambia. In my personal opinion, it has the best safaris in the world. You can fly to Mfuwe from Lusaka which I love. Lusaka is not overrun with museums but there are a couple. South Africa is more developed and advanced than Zambia with more facilities but I personally think that if you want the real feel of the African Safari, Zambia would be my first choice. You are spoilt with good restaurants in Lusaka. Try Kumushi restaurant in the show grounds for real Zambian food, very cheap ! Zambia and Botswana are probably some of the safest countries in this part of the world. Good luck whatever you choose.

Tucson, AZ
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lusaka or Harare?

Thanks so much for your recommendations!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lusaka or Harare?

Also, on a purely practical level, it's going to be a lot easier to get from Lusaka to Livingstone than Harare to Livingstone as you're remaining within the same country. If you for Harare, I'd go for the Victoria Falls side instead. One other factor- if you're going on to South Africa, you will need to show a yellow fever certificate coming from Livingstone- from Victoria Falls not. Again, if South Africa's already on your agenda and you're after restaurants and galleries, you might find more of what you're looking for in Cape Town than either Lusaka or Harare, both of which have their own charms, but not quite so much on the restaurant/gallery front as Cape Town.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

4. Re: Lusaka or Harare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16