We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week in Zambia

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A Week in Zambia

Good morning,

My fiance and I just found out her work is sending her to Zambia for a month to do marketing for a nonprofit in Lusaka. She will be there late October 2014 to late November. I am planning on coming out for a week around Nov. 21st. She will be done with her work and we wanted to explore Zambia. I don't think she will get to do much while she is working. I plan on flying into Lusaka and meeting up with her there and then we want to explore. What would you all recommend we do with only a week? We are on somewhat of a budget but we aren't really looking to "rough it." I know very little about Zambia but am trying to read up on the country. I like the sound of Lilayi Lodge for a day or so... and were thinking of going to Livingston. We like fishing so that may be an excusrion we want to make. Any suggestions from locals or people who have visited before are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week in Zambia

I personally think you'd be crazy to come to Africa and not do a safari if budget will possibly allow. It's definitely per day one of the most expensive things you can do with your holiday, but absolutely magical. It'd be a shame to come all the way to Africa and not try it, at least a bit. However, I would warn that safari on a budget can involve roughing it a bit so perhaps it's not for you, and the Zambian style of safari in particular is pretty rustic.

Check out somewhere like Flatdogs camp in the South Luangwa (one of the best value non-camping options) to see the sort of experience and prices that you'd be looking at. November is low season (pretty hot) and could be some rain, so costs are often lower than earlier on in the year, which might help.

I would also strongly recommend getting your hands on a copy of the Bradt guidebook to Zambia. This is one of the best guidebook series for Africa and will give you a good feel for what's there and help you narrow down what might suit you.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week in Zambia

Thank you for the response. I actually have a copy of the Bradt book on its way in the mail. We are by no means opposed to rustic, were just not the type to backpack across Zambia. I really am hoping we can fit in some sort of Safari since that has long been a dream of mine.

3. Re: A Week in Zambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17