We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

payment to the tour

hong kong
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
payment to the tour

I plan my tour at end sept and my travel agent needs me to pay now for all expenses (tour costs, airfares, visa fee...). Is it a government policy that I need to pay all the expenses now or I can pay partially and balance upon arrival in BHUTAN? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: payment to the tour

First of all, Drukair will hold reservations only if the tickets are paid for, and this has to be done as soon as you know your dates. The rest is due the latest one month before your arrival.

The money will be held in the Bank of Bhutan, in the name of your tour agent, who will actually get the money only after your tour is finished.

I also felt a bit of worry the first time I sent money so long in advance, but all went well. Keep in mind it is expensive to send money to Bhutan, as it has to pass another bank in the USA, so add 25$ at least to the amount due.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
829 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: payment to the tour

Like Bhutantraveler I was a bit aprehensive about the whole process - the funds do indeed need to be transfered in advance, but the wire transfer went through to Nirvana in two days and the whole process worked out as planned.

Bhutan
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: payment to the tour

Hi Deirdre

As BhutanTravller rightly points out, it is usually Druk Air that makes this a bit tricky as there are limited seats available and they will only reserve them when full payment is made up front. Hence the requirement for an early payment in full. In addition, it is good to keep in mind that things happen rather slowly In Bhutan including the processing of funds! But when you get there you will see that this is in fact the charm of the place and every pre-trip anxiety will be absolutely worth it.

hong kong
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: payment to the tour

I fully agree to pay for the airfares in advance. But for the tour cost, need to pay ALL in advance sounds quite risky. But if this is government policy, i have to follow..

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: payment to the tour

If you are using a known, reputable tour agency, there is no worry about paying for all of it upfront.

Thimphu
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: payment to the tour

Dear sir,

Donot worry about you sending the money to this agent.There is no such cases of losing your money till date in Bhutan.....all travel agents are goverment registered and it is not one time business so you donot have to worry..

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: payment to the tour

I would agree with you with the other's about not worrying about wiring money to your tour agency in Bhutan. If for some reason they do try to swindle, you can always contact the tourism department and related government agencies who will do everything to help you out. Bhutan being a tiny place makes these sort of thing very easy to track down.

For your part, you need to make sure that you are actually wiring the money to Bhutan and not to Nepal or another who will forward the money to the Bhutanese agency etc etc.

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: payment to the tour

You don't have to worry, it is a government policy. If you don't make your tour payment your visa will not approve.

Payment for your trip is made via bank transfer to Bhutan through the Department of Tourism (DOT). The DOT will hold the money until your trip has taken place and will release it only when you have left on your return flight. Therefore your money is secure and you don’t have to be concerned. If for any reason the trip does not take place the government will return the money to you (subject to cancellation charges which apply if you have cancelled the trip).

regards

hong kong
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: payment to the tour

thank you very much for all your information. I am now have confidence to wire money to my travel agent.

Thimphu
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: payment to the tour

Do that and enjoy your holidays and make sure you wire the money directly to bhutan agent like one of friend said.Happy holidays man.....enjoy