We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

NYC
4 posts
Save Topic
Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

Looking to plan a trip for this October and what may well be our last trip before we start a family. Two things (among many) that I would like to do:

1) Hike up Mount Kilimanjaro

2) Journey through Bhutan

There are other trips that I would love to take as well, but it happens that October appears to be a good time, weather-wise, for these two places.

Two very different itineraries... having a hard time deciding which trip I can put "on-hold" for about 18 years.... Anyone shed some light on how to decide? I realize my timelines are cutting close.

One thing I am aware of though, is that they predict the glacier on Mt. Kili to be gone by 2020. But I have been looking to visit Bhutan for about 5-6 years now and can see that it is becoming more and more.... touristy. I would like to try to catch this place before it becomes over-run with tourists.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts/advice.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

As someone who fell in love with Bhutan, after travelling to many other places, I'd say: go to Bhutan.

A kid can walk much better than we think, and maybe when it will be 15 you can plan on Kili. I took my daughter to Iceland when she was 13, and she walked better than most adults. At 14 we trekked in Nepal, and at 17 she was in Bhutan.So,see Bhutan as it is now.

Mentioned in this post
NYC
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

Bhutantraveller:

Thank you for your reply. I have to say I have been leaning towards Bhutan and delaying the 'bragging rights' for climbing Kili.

Good point about bringing the (future) kids to Kili. Your daughter is lucky to have travelled to so many beautiful places around the world at such a young age.

When I first started thinking about my October trip, it was focused on Kili - probably because I have been going hiking a lot recently and thus surrounded by like-minded folk. As I was researching groups for the Kili trip, I naturally came across websites for "adventure trips" around the world. This revived my infatuation with Bhutan.

While thinking about Kili put an extra spring in my step, I have to say thinking about Bhutan has been giving me the feeling of walking on clouds.

My husband has been asking me to re-think more clearly which trip I want to make, which led to my postings. Just want to hear other people's thoughts and opinions.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
MaineUSA
Level Contributor
850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

Latebloomer:

My wife and I have taken four trips to Asia since 2002 including Tibet and Nepal and I would agree with Bhutan Traveller that Bhutan is like no other destination - you won't be disapointed.

Mentioned in this post
singapore
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

I came back from Bhutan about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love the country.Now is the right time to go, before it becomes too touristy. People there are so spiritual and warm,and the place is so unspoilt.

Despite having spent only 5 days there , I find that Bhutan has really amde a great impact on me. Before I used to like going out to town, walking around in shopping malls and just spending money! Very materialistic.

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

We travel Bhutan in 2008, the Bhutanese people are a good-natured, friendly and fun-loving, towards the end of our trip our guide even took us to his mum’s sisters place in where we spent a night in a typical Bhutanese village. We visited all the neighbours who offered us lots of aras and where then treated to a sumptuous feast of chilli cheese and dried beef. At night most of the village came by to offer us more ara and to look at the curious visitors. We were sad to say good bye to our guide & driver when they finally left Sandrup Jongkar and left us alone with the bikes again. He has invited us back and we definitely want to go back and explore more of that truly unique country Bhutan.

Mentioned in this post
Malaysia
Level Contributor
385 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

Hi,

It is quite coincidental that I am faced with the same 2 places to choose from. My teenage son who treks with me wants me to go to Kili first but my wife, who deos not trek wll wants to visit Bhutan. They are both not the cheapest places to visit especially for people from developing countries. I have been looking at both these for a couple of years now and I want to do both but one has to wait.

Difficult choice. In my case it is between son and wife; possible vanishing of Bhutan as it is and the vanishing ice cap on Kili.

I have settled for Bhutan the end of the year. To take away the dissapointment, we plan to arrange for some treks as well.

Happy planning.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2009, 20:09
8. Re: Visit Bhutan or Climb Mt Kilimanjaro before having a baby???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 05:16