We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge to Bhutan

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge to Bhutan

Four of us took a trip to Bhutan in late April 2010. We truly had a wonderful time. The most confusing thing about planning the trip was picking the tour operator since there are so many local guides available. The prices are fixed so it is difficult to make a choice. We decided to go with Bridge to Bhutan, a tour agency operated by two youngish Bhutanese brothers. We were very glad we chose them. They truly molded the trip to our desires and needs. The brother that took us around, Fin, was very personable and entertaining. Best of all, his English was outstanding (both brothers lived and went to college in the US for several years). The driver he hired was a lot of fun--he even would sing Bhutanese songs to us! We definitely had the best trip ever and enjoyed every minute of it. The itinerary mostly went well. There were a few things we didn't see but that was ok because we changed our minds about a few things. The hotels and restaurants were fine. We arranged a home stay which was a lot of fun--we even drank a bottle of their home brew with the family. We met a few of Fin's relatives along the way which made it even more personable. The van we had worked out great for the four of us. One of the best things about Bridge to Bhutan is that Fin and his brother are definitely all about sustainable development and given their personalities, I think they will make progress in their country. There were truly very few negative things about the trip.

Leadville, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge to Bhutan

I am planning a trip to Bhutan in November 2010. I am having trouble deciding on a tour company to go with. I have narrowed it down to two, one of which is Bridge to Bhutan. I am traveling solo. Would you recommend them for a solo traveller? Is there any other advice that you could give to help me to decide if they are the right company for me? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Leadville, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge to Bhutan

I am planning a trip to Bhutan in November 2010. I am having trouble deciding on a tour company to go with. I have narrowed it down to two, one of which is Bridge to Bhutan. I am traveling solo. Would you recommend them for a solo traveller? Is there any other advice that you could give to help me to decide if they are the right company for me? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge to Bhutan

The best way to decide about a local tour operator, except recommendations, is the way they respond to your personal wishes and questions. So you can see if they want to sell something general, or are really interested in you having your own itinary and tailored trip. Most will give you as much as possible according to your requests. As you'll have to pay the surcharge for single, 40$ per night, you'll have too your own driver and guide,and should have the trip of your life. Happy planning, and please let us know how it went.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge to Bhutan

That is a little difficult to say....since we only had the experience of one tour operator in Bhutan. But I can say that Fin was, on average, much more personable than a lot of the other tour operators we observed at Bhutanese meals and tourist sites. He went out of his way several times...took us to a massage in Thimphu at 9pm, arranged an inpromtu lunch to be brought up the steep trail by horseback, at Tiger's Nest, when one of us was feeling hypoglycemic and a little ill; having brewed coffee for our coffee addicts on arrival (there is usually only instant), etc. etc. He did much more for us than any other guide I have ever had and I have had 20-30 foreign guides in my lifetime. I am sure he or his brother would do a good job for you if you are going solo. I briefly met his brother, who also seems very nice. I guess just make sure they are reasonably prompt (there may be a delay since they may be on the road and electricity may be lacking) and seem to be working with you on the sort of stuff you want to see. I wouldn't be do adamant about micromanaging your own itinerary. Once we got there, our preconceived idea of what we wanted to see changed somewhat and Fin was able to accommodate us--just realize that travel times are long over seemingly short distances because of the twisty roads. We mainly wanted to see a dance festival and we did that, as well as nice scenery, Tiger's Nest, and a few (not too many) Buddhist dzongs and temples. A lot of the things that were the best remembrances from Bhutan were impromptu.

5. Re: Bridge to Bhutan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 05:16