We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

huntington, ny
Level Contributor
152 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Hi. My husband is offering for me to leave him and the kids for 10 days to go on an exotic adventure (my old days before family life) for my birthday in the spring. I am looking for a real mind/body/spirit experience. I have always wanted to go to Bhutan but not sure this is the place for this. I would like to hike in the mountains, meditate, calm my mind and find my center again in my hectic life as a working mom. Would you suggest I go to Bhutan or somewhere else? Is there a spiritual experience in Bhutan? If Bhutan, where would you go and what company would you suggest? Can you spend any time in a monestary? I am 46. I would prefer to travel with women but am open to anything.

Thanks so much,

Stacey

Mentioned in this post
Thimphu, Bhutan
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Hi Stacey, Bhutan is the right place for you. Spiritual practices are day to day part of many Bhutanese.You will have great time. You could even get blessing from a Rimpoche or a Lama.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Hi Stacey,

I think you can find in Bhutan what you're looking for. It is a very spiritual country and this you'll feel from the arrival throughout your journey.

As for recommendations, look at the tripreports on the right upper part of our mainpage, and you'll see some agents recommended. Write to some, and tell them exactly what you want, including spending time in a monastry. Everything is possible, if you plan it in advance, and sometimes even on the spot. You can ask for a women guide, I doubt about drivers, but ask.

I feel the Phobjikha valley has a special feeling, you can visit the Gompa there and meditate. You can also meditate everywhere in the outdoors. I think camping will give you a feeling of beeing closer to nature, as it is not on camping sites, but in the middle of nowhere.

You can plan to visit a Nunnery, or attend prayers by nuns.

It is possible to have a hot stone bath with water from a healing source, you can ask fro a meeting with a spiritual leader, a blessing, just name it. It can be really a journey different from all others.

Mentioned in this post
Phobjikha Valley
Phobjikha Valley
80 Reviews
Wangdue Phodrang District, Bhutan
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Hi! Think about an alternative destination - Sri Lanka. We have meditation retreats and yoga retreats. A few ideas below:

http://www.ulpotha.com/

http://www.talallaretreat.com/

http://www.thekandysamadhicentre.com/

We also have amazing beaches and an ancient history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sM9vcAIYyc

Mentioned in this post
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Hi Stacey,

I just got back from Bhutan and it was the trip of a lifetime. Me and three friends, along with our great guide Ugyen and our driver Chitra, mostly hiked to monasteries, all while learning about the culture and Buddhism. The monasteries were amazing and we quickly got into the rituals which opened up many doors for us. We met and talked with many monks and we meditated in every monastery. The hotels in Bhutan were spectacular (Taj Tashi & Zhiwa Ling) or average, but still fine. We loved the food...all very fresh and mostly vegitarian. But really it is the country, the people and the Buddhism that blew our minds. Some of the drives to the different areas were long, but well worth while, especially since two of us were very into photography. It is the best photography destination I have ever been to.

The spirituality of the land was truly amazing. It changed all of our lives forever. We went with open minds and tried to lose our "western minds" and really had a deep and unforgetable experience.

Now if we can figure out a way to let them know they have to pick up their thrash!

Oh, we travelled with Wilderness Travel, which was great, but now I know how to go myself. You do need a guide, but it is great how many people speak English. Not sure you can stay in a monastery, but you can certainly spend all day in them. Each one is unique.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 22:02
Mentioned in this post
Taj Tashi
Taj Tashi
770 Reviews
Thimphu, Bhutan
Zhiwa Ling
Zhiwa Ling
401 Reviews
Paro, Bhutan
huntington, ny
Level Contributor
152 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

Thanks!! If not with wilderness travel, what guide would you get?

-Stacey

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

To stress this again: in Bhutan individual travel is not allowed, except for Indians. You can choose whatever local agent you want, and most have a number of guides, but all your itinary has to be pre-planned, and pre-paid too. But in this framework, you can plan you own itinary and tell the agent what you want from your stay. You'll get the preliminary tour and can change it as you want. You can make changes also when in Bhutan, only then the hotels or campingcrew will be booked, so there'll be less flexibility. If you plan for this spring, it is time to start writing and make arrangements.

As mentioned before, there are many recommendations here on the forum. At the right upper part of our mainpage we have top questions, with many trip reports, you can start form there. And of course for more specific question you have the forum too.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

As Bhutantraveller said, you must have a pre-planned trip and Wilderness Travel was GREAT with ALL of the questions and paperwork and information. They booked our trip with Gangri Tours and it was the experience of a lifetime. Our guide was Ugyen Tshering...great guy was a lot of laughter in his heart, knowledge and he really understoon who we were and made sure we had an amazing experience. So I have no idea how booking with them directly would be, but having been there this is what I would do next time. If you like you can check as many of my pictures as you like on Facebook. One of my albums of pictures is at www.facebook.com/album.php… and let me know if you want to see more. Good luck!

8. Re: Looking for mind/body/spirit experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 06:42